SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion in LSHO

peonic

My first ever attempt at this target - and I REALLY needed some shorter subs to not have a completely blown out core.

I also had no end of problems with PI's PhotometricMosaic script (which has never failed me in the past) leading to about 2 days of work trying to get this simple 2 panel mosaic stitched correctly.

2 Panels of:

10x 30s L/S/H/O

20x 60s L/S/H/O

10x 180s L/S/H/O

WO FLT91, 533MM Pro, ZWO 7nm Filters

EQ6R Pro

Bortle 5, Newmarket UK

I'll try and add some 5 and 10 second subs at some point to try and rescue the core!

Comments and critique always welcomed.

Great Orion Nebula.png

• Like 9

On 01/01/2023 at 20:13, peonic said:

My first ever attempt at this target - and I REALLY needed some shorter subs to not have a completely blown out core.

I also had no end of problems with PI's PhotometricMosaic script (which has never failed me in the past) leading to about 2 days of work trying to get this simple 2 panel mosaic stitched correctly.

2 Panels of:

10x 30s L/S/H/O

20x 60s L/S/H/O

10x 180s L/S/H/O

WO FLT91, 533MM Pro, ZWO 7nm Filters

EQ6R Pro

Bortle 5, Newmarket UK

I'll try and add some 5 and 10 second subs at some point to try and rescue the core!

Comments and critique always welcomed.

Great Orion Nebula.png

I am still learning, but my recent M42 image had sharper core stars, but my subs were a mere 20second each, about 40 subs total. I use an F5 8ich reflector, on a HEQ5 mount, no filters, totally broadband, in Bortle 7. My image is much much less impressive than yours, mind, but I just thought I'd share my experiences with you, in the hope it might in some tiny way increase your knowledge base, as knowledge is always valuable, however small! 

*Here's my second ever proper attempts at M42. It has all-kinds wrong with it, I know, but personally it is a massive leap forward for me in my Astro-imaging journey! I really REALLY struggled with basic PC skills, understanding file types, understanding how to use the different free processing applications, basically VERY computer illiterate! I almost gave up the hobby entirely at times, such was my frustration and indeed desperation!? But I am so pleased I persevered, because I am now able to produce my first basic astrophotography images, which just a couple of months ago, seemed impossible! 

Clear Skies! 

Wes, Liverpool. Bortle 7

Wes, Liverpool. Bortle 7

m42orion.processed.03.01.23.png

This is a great image which for me is somewhat marred by the green.  I don't have much of a problem with the burnt out core, it is a high dynamic range target and I dislike images which take the brightness and energy out ot the trapezium area for the sake of showing four small stars.  It is the impact of the stars which helps make this a wonderful object, not the stars themselves. 

I couldn't resist having a look at the image without the green and have attached the result. 

629882600_GreatOrionNebula.thumb.png.5023a09586b2872990dc0d2cfea6e2ec_HLVG.png.96ee52ec439042f61c762816ae31434a.png 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MartinB said:

This is a great image which for me is somewhat marred by the green.  I don't have much of a problem with the burnt out core, it is a high dynamic range target and I dislike images which take the brightness and energy out ot the trapezium area for the sake of showing four small stars.  It is the impact of the stars which helps make this a wonderful object, not the stars themselves. 

I couldn't resist having a look at the image without the green and have attached the result. 

629882600_GreatOrionNebula.thumb.png.5023a09586b2872990dc0d2cfea6e2ec_HLVG.png.96ee52ec439042f61c762816ae31434a.png 

Wow this is stunning! My personal opinion regarding the debate over the core, is both types are beautiful, but if I really had to choose, I would choose the stars to be visible, but not at the expense of the whole of the rest of the image!? Why sacrifice the other roughly 90% of an image just to show the other 10% / 4 individual stars, in their best "light" so to speak!? I guessa it's a case of "each to their own". Stunning picture! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2023 at 13:46, MartinB said:

I somehow managed to miss your reply Martin.

You're right, it does look much better without the green! Thanks for taking the time to edit. I'll have another play with the raw data and see if I can improve on your result!

Chris

• Like 1