NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A somewhat Xterminated Rosette Nebula

James

It's been a while...

A work in progress (aren't they always) of the Rosette with a new system (ASIAir, WO Cat 71, ZWO 2600mm with Optolong 3nm narrowband filters... I've only 10x 5min exposures each of Ha, OIII and SII but on spotting a considerable buzz about Russell Croman's BlurXterminator plug-in/module I thought I'd give it a go with just those. Actually I went the whole hog and have downloaded trials of StarXterminator and NoiseXterminator too..

Processed in Pixinsight with Ha mapped to green, OIII to blue and SII to red..  I must admit that BlurXterminator looks interesting - I suspect that given a huge amount of time (which I don't have) I could achieve something like it with Pixinsight anyway but instead it took about 5 mins...

Plenty to do with this image, more subs - there's more nebulosity and most of the background has some degree of it;  I need to look at how to do the stars right as I used BlurXterminator on each stack, then combined, removed a chunk of the green then split off the stars using StarXterminator but did nothing else with them. The background areas need work - I masked off the Rosette itself but have left the rest of the nebulosity unmasked... so it's faintly green :rolleyes2:  But, getting to this point with this data in a matter of perhaps half an hour is seriously good for someone like me who loves capturing but hates processing :)

The image is a jpg, it's possible clicking on it will give a better image :)

James

RosetteWIP2.thumb.jpg.1c0898d2f1a86047649981a87a07a1ca.jpg

• Like 14

Beautiful James.  I didn't know about BlurXterminator, I shall add it to my other Xterminators.  This is a very "less is more" process and works very well.  I see you have left the sky quite bright which, in a way, adds to the ethereal loveliness!  I hate capturing and love processing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, James said:

It's been a while...

A work in progress (aren't they always) of the Rosette with a new system (ASIAir, WO Cat 71, ZWO 2600mm with Optolong 3nm narrowband filters... I've only 10x 5min exposures each of Ha, OIII and SII but on spotting a considerable buzz about Russell Croman's BlurXterminator plug-in/module I thought I'd give it a go with just those. Actually I went the whole hog and have downloaded trials of StarXterminator and NoiseXterminator too..

Processed in Pixinsight with Ha mapped to green, OIII to blue and SII to red..  I must admit that BlurXterminator looks interesting - I suspect that given a huge amount of time (which I don't have) I could achieve something like it with Pixinsight anyway but instead it took about 5 mins...

Plenty to do with this image, more subs - there's more nebulosity and most of the background has some degree of it;  I need to look at how to do the stars right as I used BlurXterminator on each stack, then combined, removed a chunk of the green then split off the stars using StarXterminator but did nothing else with them. The background areas need work - I masked off the Rosette itself but have left the rest of the nebulosity unmasked... so it's faintly green :rolleyes2:  But, getting to this point with this data in a matter of perhaps half an hour is seriously good for someone like me who loves capturing but hates processing :)

The image is a jpg, it's possible clicking on it will give a better image :)

James

RosetteWIP2.thumb.jpg.1c0898d2f1a86047649981a87a07a1ca.jpg

LOL I had to giggle when you said "Plenty to do with this image...etc etc etc" LOL if I had produced this incredible image i'd be bouncing off the walls with happiness!! Haha!! Joking aside, it really is beautiful as it is, but I appreciate someone like yourself is likely used to producing works that far exceed even this!? 

Thank You for sharing, Clear Skies!

Wes.

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

Beautiful James.  I didn't know about BlurXterminator, I shall add it to my other Xterminators.  This is a very "less is more" process and works very well.  I see you have left the sky quite bright which, in a way, adds to the ethereal loveliness!  I hate capturing and love processing!

There's a lot of nebulosity there which I didn't want to just remove but I shouldn't have treated it differently from the main object... when I'm done I'll probably darken the sky just a little.  "I hate capturing and love processing!"... Hmmm.. we need to talk :) 

1 hour ago, wesdon1 said:

LOL I had to giggle when you said "Plenty to do with this image...etc etc etc" LOL if I had produced this incredible image i'd be bouncing off the walls with happiness!! Haha!! Joking aside, it really is beautiful as it is, but I appreciate someone like yourself is likely used to producing works that far exceed even this!?

That's kind of you Wes, but every time I process an image I get to a point were I think, "OK, that's cool, but..."  and then I can see what needs to be done still but usually can't do it, whether from lack of time (or as frequently skill/knowledge). I'm lucky, I'm using a nice scope, a nice camera, the filters seem to be good and Russell Cromans plug-ins seem to be working well too... 

James

• Like 1