NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can I use a goto with a skywatcher explorer?

Hi All,

I recently bought myself a skywatcher explorer 130pm with an eq2 mount. I have since been amazed with seeing a goto mount in action and wondered if i can use one with my existing OTA. I've read something about dovetail or vixen plates that i may have to buy but to be honest i'm not sure what i should be looking to buy in order to help me convert to using a goto. Any suggestions and advice will be greatly received - Thanks!

I'm pretty certain that you cannot upgrade an EQ2 to GOTO.

But you can use the OTA (tube and rings) to mount on a EQ3 or higher. These can be bought with GOTO.

The Skywatcher - Skywatcher NEQ3 Synscan GOTO is the cheapest mount with GOTO from Skywatcher.

But for an extra few quid you could go for Skywatcher - Skywatcher EQ5 Synscan GOTO - this would be a little more future upgradeable.

The advice is always to buy the very best mount you can afford and worry about the telescope part later!

HTH

Ant

Keep an eye on the secondhand kit on SGL or website U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell for GOTO mounts, much cheaper than buying new.

All you will need is to remove the tube rings on your current mount and attatch them to a dovetail bar (costs about £10).

A GOTO system can make finding objects easier, but a 130mm scope is still quite small so there are a lot of objects in the database that will be beyond your scopes capabilities.

Mike

The EQ2 cant be upgraded BUT trhe 130 is light enough I would have thought to put on an Alt/Az GoTo mount and I have seen a few of these come up for sale second hand - I think someone was selling a Celestron one quite recently.

The scope and its tube rings have a vixen style dovetail which most mounts can accept so you shouldnt have any worries there.

Sky-Watcher do a GoTo Alt/Az mount as well but as far as I know they only sell it with a telescope attached. It might be worth a call to Firlst Light Optics and see if they can get a mount minus the scope - you never know.

It doesn't have to be a Skywatcher goto system. Sometimes you can get a mount with a scope on it for very little more than the tripod alone would cost, so if you want to pick up a refractor as well, you could get one on a goto mount, and have it do double duty.

Archived