Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Outdoors with LX90

I have a 8" Mead Lx90 and would love to keep it setup outside.  I am fearful of what the elements would do to it with just a cover.  It has an equatorial mount and has become very heavy, not mentioning doing setup every time. Thoughts?

My LX200GPS has been outside under a Telegizmos 365 cover for a couple of years with no ill effects and minimal ‘maintenance’…I wipe it down after a dew laden session before putting the cover back on, I take the cover off on sunny winter days to give it a bit of an airing every now and then, and I spray the sockets on the control panel with WD40 a couple of times a year…

Edited by catburglar
Typo

44 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

I hope you live in a nice secure location.   I cant force myself to leave my 16 inch dob out overnight 

True. It only takes one moron to investigate the lumpy thing in the garden and even if he didn't steal it, he might just break it in a fit of pique.

2 years on and still nobody’s had a go at it, so I hope I’m OK. From a distance it probably looks like a chiminea or patio heater under a cover- so not too exciting for a prospective thief. If they did want to steal it they’d need to bring a selection of allen keys and spanners to unbolt it from the pier, and a trolly to ease transport ‘cos it weighs about 60lb, so not too easy to make a dash with… In short, it’s probably easier to nick the car off my drive than to remove the telescope…🤞

Edited by catburglar
Typos

Well if i was sure it wouldnt be bothered, i would head down to my local farm store and by a couple good heavy duty waterproof tarps and straps to secure it with.  Don't get those thin cheap plastic things, get the heaviest one you can find.