SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gemini G42 help!

matija

Hello.

I just bought the Gemini G42 observatory+ used with the PULSAR 2  controller, but I really can't seem to be able to use it properly.

After I polar align the mount and initialize it on a star(in my case Rigel), I send it off to do its job, but it misses targets by 1deg per 20deg slew. Should I add more alignment stars? How do I do that?

I'm really wondering just how to add more alignment stars to the controller (what buttons to press and what values to enter).

I could also use some information on PEC. How do I make the model?

Thanks in advance!

Matija

Screenshot 2022-12-01 215428.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Matija.

It was very sad to hear that András Dán had passed away suddenly in April this year after his move to Italy, he was very helpful to me when I had one of his G41 mounts with a Pulsar 1 and later a Pulsar 2 controller. He was not very old.

As far as I know his business is closed and even though parts of the old Gemini Telescope Design website are still functioning the links to the manuals are broken.

I sold my G41/Pulsar2 more than ten years ago and I can't remember very much about how to use it but I did find a web copy of the English manual for the G53/Pulsar 2 here:

https://teleskop-austria.at/information/pdf/G53_Manual_Pulsar2_english-2013.pdf

Although the G53 is slightly different to your G42 the Pulsar 2 controller operation is mostly identical.

In the manual you will find detailed help with the gear reduction settings which must be set according to the gear train installed on your mount and how to measure and set PEC.

Here also is a copy of the G42 mount manual where you will find the gear train ratio settings, unfortunately only a German language version but you can still find the necessary information:

https://teleskop-austria.at/support/instruction_manuals/manuals/de/G42-Handbuch-deutsch.pdf

Also good to know that the mount is so easy to adjust and service that even if the Pulsar2 controller fails in the future that there are several other makes of stepper motor telescope controller that can connect to the G41/42/43 and keep it going for years to come.

When I had my G41 I used  PEMPRO software to create a PEC curve for the Pulsar2 but you only need to be accurately polar aligned and guiding on a star and the Pulsar2 itself can capture and calculate the PEC correction, the instructions for that are in the manual.

I hope the manuals I linked to answers your questions.

William.

• Like 1