NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planets and selection of DSO’s with the Stellalyra 8” Dobsonian

Astro_Dad

22/11. 20:00 UT 

A crisp clear November evening provided a prime opportunity to take the Stellalyra 8” Dobsonian out for a good session targeting both deep sky and planets. 

The session was first light for the bundled 2” 30mm eyepiece, and also provided me with the chance to compare this ocular with a 32mm OVL Panaview I currently have on loan. This report isn’t going to cover the differences and my thoughts on the two in comparison though - I need to do more testing before concluding on this. 

A DSO entrée…

Starting with an easy target- M45, The Pleiades always impresses and really demands the wider fields offered by the 2” eyepieces. A good straightforward target to test all in order alignment wise - RACI finderscope and Rigel Quickfinder. 

Next The stunning Double cluster in Perseus. An easy target as was visible by naked eye and clearly signposted by Cassiopeia - NGC 884 and NGC 869 both framed well in the 32mm. NGC 869’s more concentrated core was obvious as was its difference in brightness (brighter than NGC 884). Both showed the hallmark attractive range of stars varying in colour and brightness. A few distinctive orange/yellow stars could be seen amongst the multitude white/blue. A frequently visited site over the years but always impressive. 

M31 - always harder than I’d like to admit to find, perhaps due to the high position in the sky presently. But  once Mirach is located I can effectively triangulate using the sharp V of Cassiopeia (Shedar pointing the way). I’ll no doubt get quicker at this. Good at 37.5x, with bright central oval core and the fainter outer glow extending nicely across the full diameter of the eyepiece. 

Unfortunately failed to find M33 (Triangulum Galaxy. I located Triangulum and tried to orientate in relation to Mirach using the Rigel circles (John Read’s book my field guide tonight) but no joy. Possibly a stretch in Bortle 4 and 203mm of aperture. I think on another occasion this should be possible though. 

EDIT - addition of open cluster NGC 752 in Andromeda. I happened upon this one accidentally but couldn’t identify at the time. Sky Safari has confirmed. Attractive relatively large OC. 

42082AFA-075B-45FB-817E-9FA53A82B5F8.thumb.png.7c1a9ea2a6399df22f05b515cf7e869a.png

M34 next, a lovely open cluster in Perseus - again at 40x power. Located finding the approximate mid point between Algol and Almach, a relatively straightforward find revealing an attractive scattering of stars. 

Then on to the planetary main course…

Jupiter - a fantastic site and a welcome one after the DSO challenges! The GRS view much earlier in the evening would have been a treat but I was still rewarded with pristine sharp views of the planet at around 100x - seeing conditions were good and the disc was mostly steady, helping to reveal a range of subtle hues in the belts and zones. The clarity and contrast in the colours showing through were up there with the best I’ve seen. The four Galilean moons were well positioned - Io through to Callisto flowing to the NE of the disc. 

Hot tea break before heading back outside to view planet of the moment-  Mars. 

Mars was an absolute delight to behold! This was BY FAR the best view I’ve had - albedo features showing clearly, the dark surface markings contrasting clearly with the rusty red background. Studying the Mars Mapper and Profiler earlier showed that Syrtis Major would be well placed, and this feature popped into view sharply at the eyepiece - the colour and defined shape was almost textbook at around 150x power.

019A7F76-8B1C-44F2-B6AB-9080392B5AF7.thumb.jpeg.df2f3e1c71d2fc46aa8ba1ef8542bf2d.jpeg

9A3B45C0-9556-480D-BA78-51C038D3B387.jpeg.491a58daf50b5bf1ce1a75962e24e2df.jpeg

I upped the power to 200x using an 8mm BST and Barlow combination and although still good, lost a little sharpness. I had been reading some of the recent research reports on Martian geological findings earlier in the day - such as the higher silica context found in certain regions, pointing to a more complex than purely basaltic crust (Iowa University) and I love the extra “depth” that is gained when observing and having this this recent knowledge front of mind. 

I’m aiming to try and capture Mars photographically this season to preserve the record, but for now, observationally it just keeps on improving. 

One of the best astro sessions I’ve had so far. 

Edited by Astro_Dad
Addition of NGC 752 identified retrospectively.
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Astro_Dad said:

22/11. 20:00 UT 

A crisp clear November evening provided a prime opportunity to take the Stellalyra 8” Dobsonian out for a good session targeting both deep sky and planets. 

The session was first light for the bundled 2” 30mm eyepiece, and also provided me with the chance to compare this ocular with a 32mm OVL Panaview I currently have on loan. This report isn’t going to cover the differences and my thoughts on the two in comparison though - I need to do more testing before concluding on this. 

A DSO entrée…

Starting with an easy target- M45, The Pleiades always impresses and really demands the wider fields offered by the 2” eyepieces. A good straightforward target to test all in order alignment wise - RACI finderscope and Rigel Quickfinder. 

Next The stunning Double cluster in Perseus. An easy target as was visible by naked eye and clearly signposted by Cassiopeia - NGC 884 and NGC 869 both framed well in the 32mm. NGC 869’s more concentrated core was obvious as was its difference in brightness (brighter than NGC 884). Both showed the hallmark attractive range of stars varying in colour and brightness. A few distinctive orange/yellow stars could be seen amongst the multitude white/blue. A frequently visited site over the years but always impressive. 

M31 - always harder than I’d like to admit to find, perhaps due to the high position in the sky presently. But  once Mirach is located I can effectively triangulate using the sharp V of Cassiopeia (Shedar pointing the way). I’ll no doubt get quicker at this. Good at 37.5x, with bright central oval core and the fainter outer glow extending nicely across the full diameter of the eyepiece. 

Unfortunately failed to find M33 (Triangulum Galaxy. I located Triangulum and tried to orientate in relation to Mirach using the Rigel circles (John Read’s book my field guide tonight) but no joy. Possibly a stretch in Bortle 4 and 203mm of aperture. I think on another occasion this should be possible though. 

EDIT - addition of open cluster NGC 752 in Andromeda. I happened upon this one accidentally but couldn’t identify at the time. Sky Safari has confirmed. Attractive relatively large OC. 

42082AFA-075B-45FB-817E-9FA53A82B5F8.thumb.png.7c1a9ea2a6399df22f05b515cf7e869a.png

M34 next, a lovely open cluster in Perseus - again at 40x power. Located finding the approximate mid point between Algol and Almach, a relatively straightforward find revealing an attractive scattering of stars. 

Then on to the planetary main course…

Jupiter - a fantastic site and a welcome one after the DSO challenges! The GRS view much earlier in the evening would have been a treat but I was still rewarded with pristine sharp views of the planet at around 100x - seeing conditions were good and the disc was mostly steady, helping to reveal a range of subtle hues in the belts and zones. The clarity and contrast in the colours showing through were up there with the best I’ve seen. The four Galilean moons were well positioned - Io through to Callisto flowing to the NE of the disc. 

Hot tea break before heading back outside to view planet of the moment-  Mars. 

Mars was an absolute delight to behold! This was BY FAR the best view I’ve had - albedo features showing clearly, the dark surface markings contrasting clearly with the rusty red background. Studying the Mars Mapper and Profiler earlier showed that Syrtis Major would be well placed, and this feature popped into view sharply at the eyepiece - the colour and defined shape was almost textbook at around 150x power.

019A7F76-8B1C-44F2-B6AB-9080392B5AF7.thumb.jpeg.df2f3e1c71d2fc46aa8ba1ef8542bf2d.jpeg

9A3B45C0-9556-480D-BA78-51C038D3B387.jpeg.491a58daf50b5bf1ce1a75962e24e2df.jpeg

I upped the power to 200x using an 8mm BST and Barlow combination and although still good, lost a little sharpness. I had been reading some of the recent research reports on Martian geological findings earlier in the day - such as the higher silica context found in certain regions, pointing to a more complex than purely basaltic crust (Iowa University) and I love the extra “depth” that is gained when observing and having this this recent knowledge front of mind. 

I’m aiming to try and capture Mars photographically this season to preserve the record, but for now, observationally it just keeps on improving. 

One of the best astro sessions I’ve had so far. 

Very nice dude I was observing with my SL 8” too and found amazing views with such detail and clarity also by far my best Mars session too keepnat it bud love reading the reports M31 is in dobsons hole at the minute which is why it’s a bit tough give it a few weeks and it’ll be easier 🙂🙂🙂

• Thanks 1

Comparing your sky with mine, I know now that I will not try again on M33..  I have the same dob and not as good as your view on the DSOs. I tried M33 before but failed. Maybe I will only try it when I get the chance to visit a dark site.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...