Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revelation 2" Barlow

I am new to this forum and would like advice on my newly acquired Revelation 2x Barlow. I purchased this from eBay, where it was listed as a 2x  ED 1.25 " Barlow. But, it isn't 1.25", it's a 2". 

I have a Skywatcher Skymax -127 Tabletop. It's many years since I dabbled in astronomy and have just bought my scope. I'm afraid I'm too thick to work out how I can resolve this and what I need to do to it, adapt it,  or whether I need to return to seller. Is anyone able to advise please? Thanks 

I’m assuming the 2” version should be more costly than the 1.25”.  So either you paid more than you needed to or you got a bargain!  If the former return it, and if the latter sell it on and buy a 1.25”.   I’ve the 2” version and I’m not sure how easy it would be to get it into a 1..25” opening, and it’s really quite heavy. 

Probably should just return to seller as "Item misrepresented" or work directly with them on an exchange with possible credit, making them swallow the additional shipping costs.  Was it this ad?  If so, it was definitely misleading.  It can accept a 1.25" eyepiece with the included adapter, but it is always listed as a 2" Barlow by every dealer I've ever seen.  Here's the same GSO-made Barlow under the Altair brand on the ENS website properly labelled as a 2" Barlow.

3 hours ago, CVT1 said:

I am new to this forum and would like advice on my newly acquired Revelation 2x Barlow. I purchased this from eBay, where it was listed as a 2x  ED 1.25 " Barlow. But, it isn't 1.25", it's a 2". 

I have a Skywatcher Skymax -127 Tabletop. It's many years since I dabbled in astronomy and have just bought my scope. I'm afraid I'm too thick to work out how I can resolve this and what I need to do to it, adapt it,  or whether I need to return to seller. Is anyone able to advise please? Thanks 

This should work:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-clicklock-1-25inch-or-t2-to-2inch-expansion-adapter.html

It seems a bit expensive, but you will then have the facility to use 2" eyepieces with your scope and the quality is usually better. It will also act as a short extension which you may need with a barlow. There are probably cheaper alternatives out there, but at least you know what you are looking for, now.

If that is a 127mm Mak, you could adapt it to use 2" eyepieces to get to a wider field of view.  I did it with mine.  However, why would you want to use a 2x Barlow with a 127 Mak?  It is slow (f/12) and has a long focal length (1500mm).  8mm is about the shortest eyepiece I use with mine.

On 09/11/2022 at 20:34, Louis D said:

Probably should just return to seller as "Item misrepresented" or work directly with them on an exchange with possible credit, making them swallow the additional shipping costs.  Was it this ad?  If so, it was definitely misleading.  It can accept a 1.25" eyepiece with the included adapter, but it is always listed as a 2" Barlow by every dealer I've ever seen.  Here's the same GSO-made Barlow under the Altair brand on the ENS website properly labelled as a 2" Barlow.