NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moonset?

paddyb

I’m going to Morocco later this month and hope to get out into the desert to gaze at the Miky Way, something I’ve always wanted to do.

Obviously I should be looking at being out there for there for new moon, which is on 23 Nov, but looking in more detail

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/morocco/marrakech

it appears that the moon sets quite early in the evening during that week, so would it matter if I went a bit later that week, on the 26 / 27 for instance (which would be more convienient) , when it sets at 20.56 / 22.07? If I went out after those times, would the be any light from the moon to interfere with the stars?

Probably completely misunderstanding this!

Edited by paddyb
added url

6 minutes ago, paddyb said:

I’m going to Morocco later this month and hope to get out into the desert to gaze at the Miky Way, something I’ve always wanted to do.

Obviously I should be looking at being out there for there for new moon, which is on 23 Nov, but looking in more detail, it appears that the moon sets quite early in the evening during that week, so would it matter if I went a bit later that week, on the 26 / 27 for instance, when it sets at 20.56 / 22.07? If I went out after those times, would the be any light from the moon to interfere with the stars?

Probably completely misunderstanding this!

The richest part of the Milky Way lies in the constellation Sagittarius (which can't be well seen from U.K. latitudes), unfortunately the waxing crescent moon would be in the region of the sky on 26/27 November.

John 

Ok, thanks. I'm obviously not understanding Moonset, which I would take to mean that the moon is below the horizon? So if it sets at 20.56 on the 26th, why would I see I crescent moon after that time?

I will hopefully have other staergazing opportunities in future years, but this year Morocco is the best I can do do. Will I still see some of the Milky Way?

41 minutes ago, paddyb said:

Ok, thanks. I'm obviously not understanding Moonset, which I would take to mean that the moon is below the horizon? So if it sets at 20.56 on the 26th, why would I see I crescent moon after that time?

I will hopefully have other staergazing opportunities in future years, but this year Morocco is the best I can do do. Will I still see some of the Milky Way?

No, you wouldn't see the moon after that time, it's just that the constellation Sagittarius in which the richest part of the Milky Way is situated, would also have set.

The best time of year to see the Milky Way from Moroccan latitudes would be late summer/early autumn, having said that the 3-day old crescent moon might not interfere too much with the view on the 26th November in particular. 

John 

Edited by johnturley

This may help you understand, it shows the sky from Marrakesh at the start of astronomical darkness ie when the sun is more that 18 degrees below the horizon, from 20th November onwards. You can also see the Milky Way and Sagittarius.

Around 20th is obviously best, although to be honest the thin crescent Moon isn’t that bright so you should still get reasonable views if that’s when you have to go.

962BFF2E-5649-474A-A543-2F9A5E8C65C1.gif

• Like 2

Thanks, so no moon after 9pm on the 26th, but also no Sagittarius?

Thanks for the video.  This shows the position at 6.55pm on those days? What software did you do this with? I'd be interested to see other times and days?

On 06/11/2022 at 11:04, paddyb said:

Thanks, so no moon after 9pm on the 26th, but also no Sagittarius?

Thanks for the video.  This shows the position at 6.55pm on those days? What software did you do this with? I'd be interested to see other times and days?

Sorry, didn’t see your reply.

This is done with SkySafari on my phone, there is a free version which should do what you need. Otherwise Stellarium is available on PC or as an app and does a similar job.

Regarding 26th, yes, you need to catch Sagittarius early at this time of year, and the Moon is near it on that date. It’s only mag -4.7 though (Venus is mag -4.3 at its brightest, so may not be too much of a problem), although at a really dark site it will still knock back the vividness of the Milky Way I imagine (I’ve not had the pleasure!)

• Like 1