connecting to EQMOD via usb

So, I am upgrading my rig to use shorter cables, and, since my mount supports direct connection to my pc via usb (bypassing the hand controller), I decided to try using that.

I used to connect my mount via a specific EQMOD cable, but, since the one I own is too long (1.5 m), and since getting a new usb cable rather than an EQMOD one is way cheaper, I decided to go with that.

Even though my mount was able to connect to my pc without problems with the dedicated cable, now that I'm using an usb one, I seem unable to get it to work...

Device manager recognizes the comm port as prolific COM3, but whenever I try to connect to it via the EQASCOM toolbox, I get a timeout error. I even tried changing the baud rate to no avail.

Comm statistics gives me the same timeout error, despite at least recognizing the port.

Could someone help me sorting this out?

Is it a Win 11 machine by any chance? The reason I ask is I upgraded my imaging machine a while back and when I did I had a bit of a time with the prolific driver and had to search out a specific version to make it work so just a thought now you've changed the method, obviously if it's not win 11....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Is it a Win 11 machine by any chance? The reason I ask is I upgraded my imaging machine a while back and when I did I had a bit of a time with the prolific driver and had to search out a specific version to make it work so just a thought now you've changed the method, obviously if it's not win 11....

Still windows 10, unfortunately, so no luck there. I'll post some pictures after lunch, just to show the error I get (connection timeout, aka, the mount is recognized but times out when I try to connect to it)

Mounts that use the Prolific chipset via a USB port need the comport set to 115200 baud speed.  You may also find that the chipset is different to the one used in the EQDIR cable.  I'm also guessing that the com port gets registered and shown in device manager without any yellow exclamation marks?

Similar issues have been resolved by clearing all the stored serial ports in Device Manager.  Under the VIEW option in device manager select "show hidden devices"  All stored ports will be listed with a lighter grey icon.  You could select and right click on each one and select "remove device" to give you a clean slate, or you could just remove all Prolific entries.  Then install the driver for the Prolific driver and connect the mount.  This would then be the only prolific comport on the computer.  Right click and set the speed to 115200 baud and run EQASCOM toolbox  and see if you can connect to the mount.

• Like 1

If your mount is a Skywatcher one there is a driver for Prolific on the skywatcher site

There were some issues with the versions of the chips in skywatcher mounts that needed 'later' drivers which caused connection problems for Asiair users.  If your mount is Skywatcher then try the above driver, but I expect the latest driver should work.

Hope that helps

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gumminess8083 said:

@malc-c@StevieDvd Thanks for your help!

Not sure which of the two things you recommended was the correct one, but now everything works! :)

My guess is that it was a combination of both.  Having the correct driver and a clean slate to install it on 🙂

Glad to hear you're back up and running

• Like 1