Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Experience required: Alt Az mount to take a Skymax 150

ct71

Hi all,

First time posting to these forums although I've gained loads of info browsing since I first started with my scope a year ago.  I've got a 90mm refractor (910mm focal length) and am loving the planets in particular (obviously first choice for a newbie!).  It came with a skywatcher AZ3 mount which I've been pretty happy with but it is starting to show it's limitations.  I've noticed a lot of wobble at higher magnifications and the fine slow motion controls cause a lot of vibration.  I end up moving my target out of field and wait for it to move through for better viewing.

I've got my eye on a Skymax 150 (5.3kg OTA alone) but wanted to sort my mount first.  I'm not an astrophotographer and am looking for a solid mount second hand.  I've seen the skywatcher EQ5 for around £200 second hand with the potential to upgrade to motorised tracking in the future.  It seems the similar priced alt az mounts top out at 5kg carrying capacity which will limit future proofing.  Anyone know of an ALT AZ mount at similar second hand price that could take the Skymax and offer non astro photography tracking potential in the future?

I should say I'm pro ALT AZ due to speed of set up.  I've got two small children so the opportunity to head to the back garden and set up in a few mins is invaluable.  EQ mounts seem to be a lot more involved.  You could argue I could set up the EQ whilst the Skymax is cooling down - fair point!

Experience and thoughts very welcome

The AZ-4 might do (7 Kg max).

I suggest though that you get an EQ-5.  get it set up and mark where the tripod feet go. Then next time you use it, just take it out and put it down on the marks. Good enough for visual.  As you say, you can upgrade this mount later to motorised (or GoTo).

I used to own the SW Mak150 and AZ4 on stainless steel tripod- and it was a great combination…but if you want tracking potential in the future an EQ5 class mount is the simplest path. 

To my knowledge there’s no similarly priced AltAz mount that has a manufacturer upgrade to tracking, but if you’re technically minded you could build something around OnStep that would work and give both goto and tracking…

You could go down the manual route now and keep your eyes peeled for a used Nexstar 8SE or Nexstar evolution or iOptron AZ pro, but you’re not going to get one in your budget- but you could recoup a bit by selling the manual mount when the time comes.

Thanks both for your input.  I did some looking around the shops online and struggled to find a mount that would suit the bill.  Did like the Rowan AZ75 but way out of budget and relatively new so unlikely to see any in the second hand market.

Like the idea of marking out the tripod to speed things up.  Great suggestion re Nexstar and similar - I'd discounted due to cost.  

18 hours ago, catburglar said:

I used to own the SW Mak150 and AZ4 on stainless steel tripod- and it was a great combination…

Catburglar - how did you get on with observing at higher magnifications without tracking?  My worry is that the target would be out of view in a matter of seconds without.

6 minutes ago, ct71 said:

Catburglar - how did you get on with observing at higher magnifications without tracking?  My worry is that the target would be out of view in a matter of seconds without.

The high mags I would typically use would be 180x with a 10mm 60 deg AFoV EP or occasionally 257x with a 7mm 82deg AFoV EP- so in both cases I got around 1/3rd of a degree FoV and the object would typically track across the field in 60-80 seconds… So I would just get into the habit of positioning the object at one side of the field observe whilst it tracked across and then reposition…I found it much easier than trying to track in real time…and it soon became second nature. It becomes a bit trickier when the objects are close to the zenith, but I’d just work around that and observe objects whilst they were up to 70-80 degrees altitude. Obviously- that’s not a problem for planets from UK locations😆

I still do the same now with a small mak at circa 180x with a 45 deg AFoV ortho and it’s a pretty relaxing- low tech way to do observe.

For what it’s worth, I did also use the 150 on a nexstar 8SE mount and that worked well, but the time it took to align and the absence of manual movement meant that I’d often prefer to use the AZ4 because of it’s simplicity…

• Like 1

And I wouldn’t want to talk you out of it…but your initial requirement was for an option of tracking at some point in the future.

The EQ5 would probably be a little bulkier than the AZ4 to carry out of the door, but probably still doable in one trip with the OTA mounted…And it could be similarly quick to set up- it only needs to be roughly aligned to North - and the addition of an RA motor gives sidereal rate tracking without any further alignment.

The reason I didn’t go down that route was that I always struggled to find stuff with an EQ mount when I first started in astronomy…but it might be something you’d want to consider before you take the plunge…

Cheers and thanks for the caution re tracking.

I do like the EQ5 but still relatively expensive for my current set up, especially with tracking added.  I spotted a bargain AZ4 on astrobuy for half the price of a SH non tracking EQ5.  Can park the tracking for now, have a play with a better mount and see how it handles a future Skymax 150.  If I'm left wanting or after tracking I can revisit the EQ5.  Astronomy on a shoe string (with some future proofing!)

Edited by ct71
typo!

Ioptron AZ pro is another possibility. Just be careful with alt-az mounts when tracking planets at high powers. Due to the fact that both motors are simultaneously engaged you can end up with a stair-like movement or some kind of vibration. I do not have experience myself, but I read several experiences from planetary observers who bought the AZ pro and they report these problems when going over 250x. Looks like for tracking planets at high magnifications, equatorial is better choice. Or you can look for a combined mount such as skywatcher AZ_EQ5

how did you get on with observing at higher magnifications without tracking?

I track manually with a Russian TAL1 with eq mount. Mars on +200X without any issue. I am even make sketches of the planets while tracking. Key is a relatively good polar alignment (I use the polar alignment app with daytime PA) and only what you need to do is push the scope forward on its RA axis. Object always comes back into view. Dec axis you don't need to touch.

Thanks for additional suggestions.  Budget (as always!) a factor. 

17 hours ago, Siegfried1969 said:

how did you get on with observing at higher magnifications without tracking?

Waiting for an AZ4 to arrive in the post second hand and am excited to give it a go with my 90/910 refractor.  I'm maxing out with that at x150 taking in to account seeing etc so expecting tracking to be less of a problem.  Will resurrect this post if/when I get a Skymax and see if I'm going to end up with an EQ mount.

Based on last nights frantic half hour viewing session before the clouds arrived, I ended up in three different places in the garden to avoid trees, sheds and a chimney stack to make the most of Jupiter, Saturn and a quick look at the moon.  Lumping an EQ around might be tricky but a rough north/polar alignment may do it.

• Like 1