Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SKYWATCHER STARTRAVEL 120 REFRACTOR TELESCOPE

Hi Dave , the ST120 is a widefield Achromat and being a short Tube will have Chromatic aberation on bright stars and Planets . I have owned one. In fact this was going to be my "ideal" scope at one point as it has a good sized aperture for the money . I did find however that looking at doubles such as Albireo and its companion the colours of the stars were not that pronounced . Having said all of that , £80 is a steal for this scope . So , why not give it a try ... and dont forget you can get rid of a lot of CA in pocessing .

Stu

6 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi Dave , the ST120 is a widefield Achromat and being a short Tube will have Chromatic aberation on bright stars and Planets . I have owned one. In fact this was going to be my "ideal" scope at one point as it has a good sized aperture for the money . I did find however that looking at doubles such as Albireo and its companion the colours of the stars were not that pronounced . Having said all of that , £80 is a steal for this scope . So , why not give it a try ... and dont forget you can get rid of a lot of CA in pocessing .

Stu

Cheers ,have done some astro photography a long time ago ,even modded and old Xbox camera lol .thanks for advice

5 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

A steal at £80.   I have used the smaller Startravel 102 extensively for EAA imaging.  It works well enough that I don't want to spend £1000 or so on an APO to see if it's significantly better.

Yeah I agree ,I'm never going to spend 300 hours on Jupiter ,stacking  5 minute images .