NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A short session with an AZ5

Marvin Jenkins

I am out right now with my early birthday present an AZ5 mount which has my first ota, an Orion USA 130 newt aboard.

Sadly banded thin cloud from my south (Pyrenees) has closed in and taken away all the detail. However, for twenty generous minutes the sky gave me Jupiter and Saturn. 
Although both are quite low I always get a more crisp view of Saturn.

I love this new grab and go bit of kit as my EQ5 and 150 pds would be too much of a faff for the small window of opportunity.

As the cloud trickled in I turned East to M31 and got a great few minutes there. M32 and M110 were showing well in my widest EP. 

After a week of cloud and rain, this evening has been just what I wanted, except it was 30 minutes not one hour 30 minutes.

Marv

• Like 7

What power magnification were you using?  I find my 130pds wobbles quite a bit if I try to use it at x160 (8mm and 2xbarlow) on my az5.

Are you running your az5 at an angle or with the mount set vertical?

4 hours ago, Ratlet said:

What power magnification were you using?  I find my 130pds wobbles quite a bit if I try to use it at x160 (8mm and 2xbarlow) on my az5.

Are you running your az5 at an angle or with the mount set vertical?

I used about the same magnification as you at one point but seeing just wouldn’t allow. I do find it wobbles a bit, but the AZ5 is so much better to use than the EQ1/2 the ota came with.

I am using it quite vertical at present however, most of the wobble is the tripod that came in the kit. I will be moving over to a steel legged eq5 tripod soon so a little more weight but much less wobble🤞

Marv