SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Climb the magic mountain

Rodd

I climbed the mountain to looked far and wide, but I still could not see the other mountains other side……..Keep on Trucking, the journey never ends!

This image has served as a booster for my inoculation against aperture fever…protection was starting to weaken.  Let’s be clear, aperture fever is a variable affliction. It ranges from harmless to incapacitating depending on where one images. In poor seeing it is a terrible disease. In the atacama desert, it can prove beneficial, though regardless of its virulence, it carries a high deductible. 

the most amazing aspect of a small aperture (perhaps coupled with small pixels), is one can obtain such results most nights, as the scope is not particularly sensitive to seeing. On the other hand, using a big scope one can expect to obtain such results only under the best of conditions—which for me is about 2% of clear sky time.

FSQ 106 with 0.6x reducer and ASI 1600 and 3nm Filters. Ha: 144 300sec; OIII 80 300 sec; SII 77 300 sec

new.thumb.jpg.e9f2decf15f8ed7eea4d033905416228.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Shibby said:

Very nice! I love the Soul nebula and have for a long time been planning to attempt do it justice myself; as you have here. Any plans to extend the to a mosaic?

Thanks Shibby--here is the mosaic:

h.thumb.jpg.367cf0e811d4066dee89648b50826571.jpg

Just kidding--its only one panel.  The image was taken at a focal length of 318 mm.  The first image is an aggressive crop.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NotSoSuperNova said:

That's a seriously beautiful result but wow, that's a lot of hours on target. How long did it take to complete?

Thanks Ryan--I shot Ha for 4 nights and I think I was able to complete the OIII and SII in one night each.  I got lucky and had 4 clear days in one week, so I guess it took me 2 weeks.  that is fast for me.  I usually get at most 1 night a week.  Hopefully its a sign that things are changin!