NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Torch for astronomy question. . .

I know what you mean. The usual astronomy torches are of poor quality, old design and unreliable.

There are plenty of red torches, usually with a zoom, that have a rechargeable battery, but I haven't found one with a USB socket on the torch it self. I have one, with two batteries so I can just change batteries to get back to instant light.

• Like 1

I have this one, bought from a local military supply store: https://www.amazon.co.uk/fenix-HM61R-Rechargeable-Magnetic-Headlamp/dp/B082DGTZVG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=fenix+head+torch&qid=1665930113&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjA1IiwicXNhIjoiMy45MCIsInFzcCI6IjMuNzkifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-4

It is weatherproof and drop proof, hell i think it might be bomb proof, you cant destroy it even if you try. The rechargeable battery lasts forever, and you charge it with an included USB cable so sounds more or less what you had in mind? The lamp will also force itself on the lowest brightness mode when batteries are getting low, but at this point you can still run the red light for several nights. So no accidental battery losses either.

1 gripe with it however, when you turn it on it will always start as the last white LED mode it had on, even if you had it in the red light mode. I have just manage this by blocking the light with my other hand when turning it on so that i dont get blinded. But if i was less lazy i would MacGyver some kind of red filter on the light itself to make sure i dont accidentally lose dark adaptation when turning it on.

• Like 1

Decathloàn have red USB charged head torches but the red is of fixed brightness. One thing to look out for is that many head torches require you to scroll through the white light to get to 'Off.' This is not good for our purposes and my Decathlon torches can go straight from red to Off.

Olly

• Like 1

if it’s not a head torch you’re looking at, the nitecore tube v2 usb keychain torch has variable output (bit clunky to operate) but comes on at min brightness. it’s white light but the body is screwed together so i reckon it’d be easy to swap the LED for a red one. ~£15 maybe cheaper if you look around.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264890487154?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_I3iFqZZR_K&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=5B1qLm7jTQa&var=564734199666&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Ive had one on my keys for about a year now and only just realised it is variable haha 😂 

3653CFA7-D545-4526-9A04-7F4055AF5BE1.jpeg

• Like 1

I'd suggest looking at  the Black Diamond Cosmo 350-R Headlamp.

This is a new rechargeable version of what's been my favourite headtorch range for years.

Most headtorches are way too bright for astronomy, but most Black Diamonds (including this one) can be dimmed right down low.

What's more, they can be set to only come on at the lowest red light setting. So no more accidents!

The only thing to watch is that the battery test lights up a series of blue LEDs, so I'd avoid using this at all.

This is the reason I prefer the non-rechargeable version.  However, I do use it with rechargeable AAA batteries.  

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AstroKeith said:

I see Celestron do a "PowerTank Glow 5000" which is rechargeable and acts a power bank. HAs anyone used one? Expensive for a torch!

Celestron PowerTank Glow 5000 | Wex Photo Video

Yea, expensive, but I reckon it'd last forever if it's also a power bank. Very interesting!

I use a head torch which is red and red only. I don’t know how many times in the past whilst using other head torches I have attempted to change the brightness and mistakenly switched the bright white light on totally ruining my night vision. This one has three settings (all red) and is powered by 2 x 18650’s which are recharged by USB.                                                     
6EF05FE8-4800-4381-8F1F-2651D9BFAD23.thumb.jpeg.9c3caf488737c9ca752a83a22b87d90a.jpeg

742C417F-803B-4FBA-8E7C-B67D88AE332D.thumb.jpeg.f4e0f5d889e552e81b619c9473dd2d73.jpeg

7EC3BC44-6FBE-4392-8480-13C8689F8B96.thumb.jpeg.a03b34537c7550cd624402da6ba42d60.jpeg

Edited by bosun21
Typo