Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Secondary rig help!

04Stefan07

Trying to sort out cameras and filters with my portable and deep field rig, see below for info and if anyone can offer any suggestions or advice that would be great!

Rig 1 (Wide Field Rig): WO GT81 IV, ASI1600MM with filters - This is my main narrowband imaging rig, this will stay as is
Rig 2 (Deep Field Rig): RC6, 1200D - Secondary rig, looking to replace with another camera? Possibly add a filter?
Rig 3 (Portable Rig): Evoguide 50, 1200D - looking to replace with another camera? Possibly add a filter?

I have attached my FOV which work out really well!

Info:
- I have 2x 1200D's, both unmodified
- I have a 2" Astronomik CLS CCD filter which I recently purchase second hand
- There is an opportunity to purchase a QHY8 Pro OSC
- If budget allowed I would have purchased an ASI OSC cooled camera. Please don't suggest to buy a brand new OSC

Questions/assumptions

- Should I modify one of the 1200D's and keep the other unmodified? Can't find pricing on this and not confident enough to do it myself
- If I do the above, should I have an L-Enhance or L-Extreme filter in one and a CLS in the other?
- I found a t-ring adapter that Baadar make that accepts 2" filters, this might be a good purchase so I can purchase 2" filters instead of clip in's. This will allow me to use my Astronomik CLS filter with both 1200D's and allow me to purchase other 2" filters in future
- How does the QHY8 Pro compare with a stock 1200D? I know its old hardware but the features that are driving me towards purchasing it is that it has cooling and doesn't require modification at all (also it can be used with rigs 2 & 3)
- Optolong L-Enhance and L-Extreme. Been reading reviews on these filters and they look pretty good. Is it worth purchasing one of these and selling the Astronomik? Also heard an H-alpha filter is well worth it or a CLS light pollution, unsure which route to go. Have seen reviews and comparisons on Youtube which have helped explained what they do but this will depend if I purchase the OSC.

Possible solutions

- Rig 2 (Deep Field Rig) - RC6:
        - 1200D unmodded
        - 1200D modded with a filter, if so which one?
        - QHY8 Pro (with a filter)

- Rig 3 (Portable) - Evoguide 50:
        - 1200D unmodded
        - 1200D modded with a filter, if so which one?
        - QHY8 Pro (with a filter)

Thank you,

Stefan.

image.png

I wouldn't think too much about filters at the moment as they limit the signal going to the sensors, if you're using DSLR this is also more prevalent as they're not quite as sensitive as astro cameras. It depends on your shooting conditions and what you're imaging too. I found the cls ccd though works, cuts a lot of signal, you'd have to make this up with exposing for a bit longer. The enhance and extreme work well, only on targets which emit hydrogen alpha and o3 (emission nebulae), the enhance I believe is more like a triband the the extreme a dual band filter, out the two the extreme is better as it isolates those bandpasses more, I had 3 out the 4 OSC optolongs and decided to keep the pro and extreme.

Regarding cameras, try using them as they are but I suspect you've already seen the difference between them and the 1600. They just won't be as good as an astro camera especially if they're not ir modified. 

With the RC6 I suspect you'll also need a focal reducer otherwise it'll be too slow for "reasonable time" imaging in its default configuration.

Edited by Elp