Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pillars of Creation Done Two Ways

In a follow up to my WIP image posted a little while ago, this is the final version of the pillars' close-up, plus a fairly quick process of the wider image.

There wasn't too much feedback with regard to improvements on the close up; that made me think image was more 'done' than I had initially thought, so I've only done some oh-so-subtle tweaks - namely, to slightly reduce the magenta tones in the blues, then a touch of sharpening, and bit of work with the stars (which I've actually made even more magenta - I think they looked too washed out in the original). Anyway, here it is:

SHO_CropV4.png.f9f25b4fa505a91d68c3c31f289c0460.png

Next up, the view of the wider image, processed fairly lazily, and with the intention of showing the extent of the nebulosity of the area - as such, the contrast and colour within the bright central region has suffered somewhat, but I think it accomplishes what I set out to achieve. Quite noisy, so don't look too close!! 🙈 I shot the Ha data last year, and I didn't realise at the time, but I clearly rotated my camera at some point between then and when I went back to shoot the Oiii and Sii earlier this year, so this is the widest field of view afforded by the intersection of all the channels.

SHO_Full.thumb.png.d363aed24b5499b5184fba9b4a1ca6ae.png

ZWO 294MM, Esprit 100 and Astronomik 6nm filters

Ha = 14 x 5 min @ gain 120 (2021)
Oiii = 45 x 3min @ gain 200
Sii = 40 x 3 min @ gain 200
Total integration time = ~5.5hrs
All processing in PI

As always, let me know your thoughts - feedback and critique welcomed 🙂

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The standard trick to lose the magenta halos in Pixinsight is to invert the image and then run SCNR green. This in effect becomes SCNR magenta. The halos apart, I think the first one is absolutely beautiful.

Olly

There is also a script in PI for specifically this purpose, called “Remove magenta stars” which also works very well 👍🏻

On 15/10/2022 at 09:13, ollypenrice said:

The standard trick to lose the magenta halos in Pixinsight is to invert the image and then run SCNR green. This in effect becomes SCNR magenta. The halos apart, I think the first one is absolutely beautiful.

Olly

Thanks very much! The top image might just be my best ever capture (and process) - it seems decidedly sharper than anything else I've managed to capture to date. Not sure how much of that is purely psychological, or maybe a product of the high contrast between the bright pillars and the less bright background, but I hope I can produce more images like that!!

I am also of a rare breed who believe in the inclusion of magenta stars in close-up hubble tribute images. That said, looking at them now, they are maybe a bit too intense, so perhaps I'll dial them in a little. I did use the inverse SCNR green on the wider shot, because they were far too overbearing in that one.