NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The FSQ Is Back From Japan!

Rodd

Finally, after 2 trips to TAK America and a long voyage to Japan, the scope is finally back on the mount.  I was able to shoot some test data last night.    Unfortunately the Moon was at 100%, so Ha was the only option.  I settled on the Soul Nebula because it offered the most time before a meridian flip (which I try to avoid).  I must say, though, that every time I have done one lately there are no issues...but old habits die hard, I suppose.  At 3:00 am, instead of flipping, I slewed to M42, which was in perfect position.  I was shocked to learn that guiding is better with my C11Edge (0.38 vs 0.75) It might have something to do with the full Moon--guide cam subs looked atrocious.  Anyway, I hope that is the reason, or something is not right (bad cable, lodestar 2x failing).  Maxim DL guided perfectly, but PHD2 was wild--unfortunately I can't image with Maxim because my camera driver is faulty and I have to use ASI studios since no native driver is needed.  I tried taking a few subs with Maxim then I remembered spending about two weeks trying to fix it to no avail.  I really need a new camera.  Then it dawned on me....I am shooting at 2.46 arcsec/pix, so an rms of .78'  is less than 1/3 of a pixel (almost 1/4th),  no wonder the stars are so tiny.  The guiding was good enough for the pixel scale.  The FWHM I averaged about 1.7x the pixel scale, so about 4.1 for these stacks.  Just for kicks I cropped one of the images and posted my recent C11EDge stack of the same area--1960 mm vs 318 mm.  The FSQ image was registered to the C11image-so it was up-sampled about 6 times!  

Regarding the "fIx"....I think, for the most part it was successful.  Not 100% as there are still a few wisps of off centered stars--but that could be due to shooting at F3--which is "asking for trouble" as Olly once remarked.  There is some upper left corner elongation, but I think that is tilt, or spacing.  Another reason to toss this camera in the can.  I can't wait to get a 2600.  Meanwhile, I think I can live with this.  Does anybody else shoot with the .6x reducer?  are stars perfect circles?

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer, ASI 1600, bin1:  71 300 sec Ha subs--needs much more data

h71a2.thumb.jpg.6a13ca4e4abcd2f310e95e94e31b853b.jpg

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer, ASI 1600, bin1:  19 300 sec Ha subs--needs much more data using HDR composition (short subs to recapture the clipped core)

h19b3.thumb.jpg.5a758692fcd4589c182d536f231e106a.jpg

Here is the FSQ vs C11Edge.  Maybe the FSQ image is not as good--but there are only 1/3 the subs.  I'd say the little fellow did OK.  Maybe when I sort the guiding out there will be improvement.  Un fortuantely, FSQ strars will never be as nice as C11Edge stars up-sampled 6x....that is just beyond the range of David's sling.

C11Edge image 103 300 sec subs at 1,960 mm

z.thumb.jpg.c70ec12b3f24c4ec3bb4c7b117b4ca73.jpg

FSQ 106 image-71 300 sec subs-up-sampled x6

x3.thumb.jpg.c79bade49cd0e88e19ae9d23ed00febe.jpg

• Like 2