Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BST 8mm or 12mm

What's your focal length?  I found a 105mm mak with a 1300mm focal length and put it with the 8mm through astronomy tools Vs my 650mm focal length scope with the 8mm and 2x Barlow using Jupiter.

It is a delicious fov for planets.  Jupiter looks really good at this and so does Saturn (although Saturn is now quite low for me).

Screenshot_20221009-195106.png

2 hours ago, Dakuwaqa said:

To go with my new Maksutov 105 telescope.

The 10mm that came with was garbage

What would you choose? I know the more magnification the better conditions you need which is why I’m leaning towards the 12mm

For planets 

I have the 12mm one for my 130PdS. It’s a great eyepiece! I’d expect the 8mm to be as good.

2 hours ago, JimFR said:

I have the 12mm one for my 130PdS. It’s a great eyepiece! I’d expect the 8mm to be as good.

Its the 130pds I've got @Chris at Flo recommended it.  Its a smashing eyepiece and excellent tag team with the 130pds.  The x80 is very versatile for lots of DSO.

• Like 1

I have and use a TeleVue 8mm Plossl & Radian with my ETX105. Of the two, I prefer the view with Radian than the Plossl.

I think the BST’s are 60deg. FOV, where as the Radian’s are 58deg.

One thing you may find... is a ‘black-spot’. It happens to me when I place my 6mm Radian into the ETX. I only notice it if the eye is not centred over the e/p.

BTW - I answered this as the Radian is the closest e/p in my collection to the BST.

Edited by Philip R

Both.

But assuming you want to buy one first, that’s harder. The 8 will be your high power eyepiece for planetary viewing, the 12 more of a medium power. I’d say get the 8 but that does leave you with a large magnification gap, but you can buy the intermediate powers later.

Edit: Next time I get out with my similar scope, I’ll ask myself how badly I’d miss the high power.

Edited by allworlds