NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

That New Quattro 150P - What's it like?

Skyline

I have this spider, its excellent in my Quattro 150P. The diffraction spikes are more intense of spectrum of colour and more prolonged.

I am still confused wherether to install the 3 small springs between the secondary mirror holder and spider. I suppose it is meant to give extra rigidity for the collimation screws.

But I have some images done with it.

3 hours ago, Backyardscope said:

extra rigidity

Rather during the nightmare of secondary collimation, it obviates the need to loosen one before tightening another. Much easier.

Assuming you have a 'slipping clutch' double washer installed (essential!) between the secondary stalk (SS) and the spider...

After axial and rotational adjustment, ensure all three screws are say 1/4 turn away from bearing upon the SS.

Using a Cheshire sight tube with cross hairs, adjust the tilt to place the primary centre donut reflection on the crosshair intersection.

Finally, take up any remaining slack by turning each screw clockwise until it just touches the SS.

Cheers CS and HTH

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GTom said:

less intense

There's not much in it. What you do get is a secondary mirror which holds collimation and guarantees perfectly symmetrical spikes; no more ugly fat double spikes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GTom said:

That "expensive" spider costs £145+shipping

Really? Can you perhaps import from the AliExpress EU warehouse? They deliver to Spain, but not sure how UK works in that respect.

Edited by alacant

40 minutes ago, alacant said:

Rather during the nightmare of secondary collimation, it obviates the need to loosen one before tightening another. Much easier.

Assuming you have a 'slipping clutch' double washer installed (essential!) between the secondary stalk (SS) and the spider...

After axial and rotational adjustment, ensure all three screws are say 1/4 turn away from bearing upon the SS.

Using a Cheshire sight tube with cross hairs, adjust the tilt to place the primary centre donut reflection on the crosshair intersection.

Finally, take up any remaining slack by turning each screw clockwise until it just touches the SS.

Cheers CS and HTH

The disc is not included, nor did I need it originally. That you can pick up from a diy store if need be.

5 hours ago, alacant said:

Really? Can you perhaps import from the AliExpress EU warehouse? They deliver to Spain, but not sure how UK works in that respect.

Anything from Ali Express under £135 value the vat is charged up front. I believe I was charged an extra £10 or something at the time of ordering. 10 days later it appeared on my door. Tracked in uk via parcel force 48.

Edited by Backyardscope
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alacant said:

I'll definitely order the package from ali. Just undecided if I am taking the mirror mask too.

14 hours ago, Backyardscope said:

disc is not included

No, sorry for a misleading comment. It's just two circular disks. I used a large metal washer sky-side for the springs to bare against and a flexible plastic disk cut from a bottle of shampoo, stalk-side.
**EDIT... I think you may mean something else...

10 hours ago, GTom said:

the mirror mask

For us, it created aberrations of its own. Our optics guy tells me it has to be a knife edge and perfectly circular to be effective. The model supplied is cut -not too well- from ~3mm shiny, brittle acrylic. We simply removed the clips and secured the mirror as above. YMMV.
HTH

1719647413920.jpg.cee00a7882d273a49506d137f5d42081.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Backyardscope said:

I have one those masks on order from AE.

I think I should have it by early next week and let you know what the finish is like.

I I got the primary mirror mask backyard universe, good quality with a beveled edge works perfectly 

• Like 1

Do you know the internal diameter of the Backyard mask? The max I am willing to sacrifice is 2mm (148mm ID).

2 hours ago, GTom said:

Do you know the internal diameter of the Backyard mask? The max I am willing to sacrifice is 2mm (148mm ID).

The mask dose not take away any aperture as you just trim back the existing rubber mirror clips

meaning it only covers the non-aluminized edge of the mirror? Masks I've seen so far on pictures covered to approx the same depth as the clips protruding which is defo over prime light gathering area. Difficult to judge though from mobile phone perspective. The only clear answer would be a figure for internal diameter.

10 hours ago, GTom said:

meaning it only covers the non-aluminized edge of the mirror? Masks I've seen so far on pictures covered to approx the same depth as the clips protruding which is defo over prime light gathering area. Difficult to judge though from mobile phone perspective. The only clear answer would be a figure for internal diameter.

If you go onto backyard universe site then go into their menu,tap on how to, it shows you how to fit the mask. 4 to 5 %more effective area after the mirror retainers have been trimmed back

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have received the mirror mask. It's actually made of some kind of ABS plastic. But very true in its form, with clean edges. 

Anyway I only paid £30 inc vat and delivery, So I am not too bothered, so long as it delivers performance.

Edited by Backyardscope
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Backyardscope said:

I have received the mirror mask. It's actually made of some kind of ABS plastic. But very true in its form, with clean edges. 

Anyway I only paid £30 inc vat and delivery, So I am not too bothered, so long as it delivers performance.

That's a good price,if it has a beveled edge make sure it slopes towards the mirror when you fit it 👍

Posted (edited)

The Backyard anodised aluminium version costs a bit more but still not the end of the world: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/backyard-universe-primary-mirror-mask-for-sky-watcher-150mm-newtonian-telescopes.html

What is expensive is the Backyard spider, I wonder if it offers any practical advantage compared to the one on Ali. For sure I'll first check how bad the stock spider is as I canceled the entire order on Ali because of the lack of chamfering.

Edited by GTom

It seems the primary mask does not have a beveled edge. So I have placed an order for the backyard universe version for next day delivery., to compliment the cnc spider I have already fitted.

With the one which arrived today I will try that out on my OmniXLT150 newt and see how that goes as I want to order another spider from AE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Backyardscope said:

It seems the primary mask does not have a beveled edge. So I have placed an order for the backyard universe version for next day delivery., to compliment the cnc spider I have already fitted.

With the one which arrived today I will try that out on my OmniXLT150 newt and see how that goes as I want to order another spider from AE.

To be honest I don't know if the beveled edge makes any difference,but I don't think they would have gone to the trouble just for fun. The spider makes the spikes shorter and cut the rainbow effect right down around star's 🤗

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Albir phil said:

To be honest I don't know if the beveled edge makes any difference,but I don't think they would have gone to the trouble just for fun. The spider makes the spikes shorter and cut the rainbow effect right down around star's 🤗

I appreciate your advise 

Truth being told, after I bought the one from AE. Having a CNC spider did not feel right mixing the plastic primary mask. Especially when I am finding the Quattro being the main scope I image with now.

The scope deserves something more befitting. 

I am sure the plastic mask will perform as I said before I have a OmniXLT150  Newt, which I will use it on.  Just need to purchase another cnc spider.

They must work, as I have seen people 3d print them and improvements have been made. 

Edited by Backyardscope

BTW has anyone taken a large sensor flat with the scope? I was wondering how bad the vignetting is in the image borders of an APSc frame.

Posted (edited)

I have received the mask now. Yes I would agree, there is a marked improvement over the plastic in design and look, I'll post up some images of both later on.

Edited by Backyardscope
  • Like 1