Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Backyard EOS & focus value, what's decent?

I have been searching and for some reason cannot find a basic answer to my question. Title probably explains it all, but when I am focusing using Backyard EOS I am never sure if the number is decent or not. Obviously your only going to get as good as you can due to various conditions. But I was just curious what overall number is satisfactory for most people? I was able to get a 2.7 a few nights ago using Polaris, but last night couldn't get below a 4. I am going to assume it's possible due to the atmosphere? 

What lens/OTA were you using ?

Did your images from last night look like they had poorer focus ?

As you said, you can only set to the best figure, and factors you can't see such as the Jet Stream and high altitude cloud may be causing the higher reading.

Or the onset of dew ?

Michael

I didn't notice much difference although I was shooting Andromeda at Bortal 5.  Does the brightness of the moon cause less focus ability? I am curious what number people get happy about overall? Such as I don't know if a 4 is horrible, or if people can get it down to 1 etc. I would like to know if my seeing conditions are more trash from one night to another due to the variance.