Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fitting Baader Clicklock to Feather Touch FTF2025BCR

Good afternoon everyone.

I've recently got hold of a Feather Touch FTF2025BCR to replace the stock focuser on my FC100-DC. I do like using the Baader clicklock system, so I envisage getting this adapter https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-clicklock-m63a-x-1-for-feather-touch-25-focusers.html

However, before I part with yet more dosh, I'd like to understand how it fits.  The Baader ring shows an external thread, yet the eyepiece end of the inner focuser tube has a clamp system. The other end does appear to have an internal thread. Does this tube get turned around in some manner?

Also, any advice re fitting a finder? Current is standard Tak bracket on the Tak focuser.

Adrian

I don't think you can use that Clicklock. The clicklock is for fitting to 2.5" feather touch focusers which have a thread, your feather touch is a 2" with no thread. If you want to use a Clicklock I think you will have to buy the one with a 2" nosepiece and then just use the compression ring on the focuser draw tube to hold the Clicklock. 

• Like 2

Adrian.

The Feather Touch focuser you have is the 2" diameter draw-tube version (according to the part # that you quote) but the Baader ClickLock you linked to at FLO is for the Feather Touch focusers with a 2-1/2" diameter draw-tube, hence the m63a thread size in the Baader specification (63mm diameter metric thread adaptor for a 2-1/2 inch imperial diameter draw-tube).

For Feather Touch focusers with 2" imperial diameter draw-tubes AFAIK there is only one version of Baader ClickLock that fits but it adds another 47mm to the focal length and with most refractors you won't be able to reach focus with one since the entire length of an existing 2" eyepiece nosepiece (plus diagonal if applicable) is supported outside the barrel of the focuser, pushing the eyepiece focal point further back. These are really designed for use with SCT's, Maksutov's and Richey-Chretien's, etc, that have a large back-focus available.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-inch-click-lock-cl-extension-47mm.html

The entire ClickLock range is shown on this Baader webpage, click on the chart diagram top-right to see which focusers and telescopes are supported and the back-focus added when you use them:

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/baader-2"-clicklock-eyepiece-clamps.html

The threading inside the Feather Touch focuser draw tube that you can see is not a mechanical thread, it is micro-baffling, although it might have been created by turning in a threading tap. You cannot turn the draw tube around in the Feather Touch shell to expose that side of the barrel due to the location of the end-of-travel stops etc.

If still in doubt and you are set on acquiring a Click-Lock to use with your 2" Feather Touch then give FLO a call, or email, and give them the details of your existing TAK, the Feather Touch model you have and the focal length of any diagonal that you might be using and they should be able to tell you whether the Baader-2956247 ClickLock that I linked to above at FLO will reach focus.

HTH.

William.

Edited by Oddsocks
Correction to quoted back focus for 2" ClickLock
  • Like 1

Thank you William for the detailed reply and to you and Ricochet for pointing out what should have been obvious to me on the diameter mismatch. Perhaps I had 2.5 inch on the brain... I'm relieved I asked the question as I got the answer I needed even if not the one I wanted.

Adrian 

PS, I thought something was odd with the 77mm figure. ;)

Edited by UKDiver
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UKDiver said:

I'm relieved I asked the question as I got the answer I needed even if not the one I wanted.

Adrian 

Adrian.

It slipped my mind yesterday, getting old…

There is a ClickLock option that would work for you but you would need deep pockets!

Baader manufacture several 2” diagonals that include an integrated ClickLock on the eyepiece side so you should have no problems reaching focus with those, only issue really is the price, ~£234 in the UK for the base 1/10 wave dielectric version, ~£412-£434 for the higher spec models with BBHS coatings (with choice of either mirror or prism), and ~£576 for the top-end 2” Amici-Prism with BBHS coatings.

FLO carry the 2” 1/10 wave dielectric diagonal with ClickLock as stock normally but the BBHS models are ordered on demand AFAIK.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/page/2

Christmas / Birthday present wish-list item perhaps?

Sorry I missed those as an option yesterday….

William.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oddsocks said:

Adrian.

It slipped my mind yesterday, getting old…

There is a ClickLock option that would work for you but you would need deep pockets!

Baader manufacture several 2” diagonals that include an integrated ClickLock on the eyepiece side so you should have no problems reaching focus with those, only issue really is the price, ~£234 in the UK for the base 1/10 wave dielectric version, ~£412-£434 for the higher spec models with BBHS coatings (with choice of either mirror or prism), and ~£576 for the top-end 2” Amici-Prism with BBHS coatings.

FLO carry the 2” 1/10 wave dielectric diagonal with ClickLock as stock normally but the BBHS models are ordered on demand AFAIK.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/page/2

Christmas / Birthday present wish-list item perhaps?

Sorry I missed those as an option yesterday….

William.

Not a problem William. I don't know how anyone could remember all the combinations and numbers. I can barely recall my own phone number. Memory and numbers don't go together for me. Perhaps not the best thing in this activity, but less risky compare to my other interests.

I have a BBHS prism with clicklock, so I'll just mount that directly. It was more about overall length saving for transport etc. combining with ignorance to lead to my latest near cockup.

Adrian

Edited by UKDiver