Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrading a portable setup

*Ignore my signature, it needs to be updated* I no longer have the Z61 as my portable rig. 

Currently I have my wide FOV (GT81) and narrow FOV (RC6) as my main rigs and a solar rig. With my portable setup I use a Star Adventurer (v1), DSLR with a nifty fifty lens with a Rasberry Pi and camera for guiding which works well.

I was hoping to up this a notch and the reason I am not looking at something like a Redcat 51 is that I very rarely take the portable setup with me so I can't justify spending 1.5k on that scope/lens. Also when I used to have the Z61 by the time I decked it out it got close to 5kg and there was too much to setup and configure.

I was thinking maybe getting a better quality lens that has a wider FOV than the GT81 + 1600MM. Or is there a cheaper 50mm scope?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This might be interesting...

spacer.png
Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50ED Guidescope | First Light Optics

Dedicated flattener
Sky-Watcher Field Flattener for EvoGuide 50ED | First Light Optics
Be careful regarding the Back Focus of 17.5mm, DSLR is not going to work. With 1600MM should not be an issue but do check. Astrophotography Travel Part 3 - YouTube

Starizona EVO FF costs a bit more but gives better back focus
EvoFF v2 - Field Flattener for SkyWatcher EvoGuide 50ED — Starizona

Cuiv, The Lazy Geek used it for his portable smart setup...

For about £550 you could have Sky-Watcher Evolux 62ED OTA and .9x Reducer/Flattener for Evolux 62ED

spacer.png

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-evolux-62ed-ota.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/sky-watcher-9x-reducer-flattener-for-evolux-62ed.html

Do let us know what you chose and how it ends up.

Edited by Dark Raven
  • Like 1

Ooo a 50! Looks interesting.

11 hours ago, Elp said:

Sorry you didn't develop with the Z61. It's my portable goto and it's worked fantastic for any imaging and viewing session I've put it through. I'm around 6kg payload on an autoguided azgti. Works great.

Don't get me wrong it was easily one of the best telescopes I have owned and captured an awesome image of M42 with it. But because I now have a GT81 it pretty much replaced the Z61. I ended up replacing the Z61 with an RC6 so I could at least get a narrower FOV.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 04Stefan07 said:

Ooo a 50! Looks interesting.

Don't get me wrong it was easily one of the best telescopes I have owned and captured an awesome image of M42 with it. But because I now have a GT81 it pretty much replaced the Z61. I ended up replacing the Z61 with an RC6 so I could at least get a narrower FOV.

I love my RC6. It took a bit of getting used to after the big Skywatcher dobs and is now turning in some pretty respectable results. How do you find yours?

On 22/09/2022 at 22:43, Mandy D said:

I love my RC6. It took a bit of getting used to after the big Skywatcher dobs and is now turning in some pretty respectable results. How do you find yours?

Still get to get first light with the RC6. It's taken a bit of effort to set it up the way I want. Main issue being how back heavy it is.

Will report first light once done!

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 19:05, Dark Raven said:

This might be interesting...

spacer.png
Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50ED Guidescope | First Light Optics

Dedicated flattener
Sky-Watcher Field Flattener for EvoGuide 50ED | First Light Optics
Be careful regarding the Back Focus of 17.5mm, DSLR is not going to work. With 1600MM should not be an issue but do check. Astrophotography Travel Part 3 - YouTube

Starizona EVO FF costs a bit more but gives better back focus
EvoFF v2 - Field Flattener for SkyWatcher EvoGuide 50ED — Starizona

Cuiv, The Lazy Geek used it for his portable smart setup...

For about £550 you could have Sky-Watcher Evolux 62ED OTA and .9x Reducer/Flattener for Evolux 62ED

spacer.png

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-evolux-62ed-ota.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/sky-watcher-9x-reducer-flattener-for-evolux-62ed.html

Do let us know what you chose and how it ends up.

Great options. 

I went with the 50 as it's a perfect size and I can fit it all in my case with my Star Adventurer. I purchased the Starizona field flat as it works well with a DSLR and gets better back focus.

Will report once I receive and set it up!

• Like 1