NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BHZ Mk3 flimsy eyecup

sorrimen

Hi all

Just received a used Baader zoom mk3 for a nice price. The eyecup on it is very flimsy, and at full extension it wobbles about. Can see it being annoying at the very least. Have seen a couple others face this issue and just wondering if anyone has any ideas on DIYing a fix, or if it’s worth sourcing a replacement eyecup (£15 or so, but fear that it may be(come) just as flimsy).

I’ve thought about widening the rotating eyecup to make it fit firmer, perhaps by sticking a layer of paper to it or something similar. Have also thought about letting a drop of superglue dry on the small sticking out clips to make them sit in the grooves better. Thoughts?

Cheers

Ross

p.s. images attached, just in case anyone is unfamiliar with the design/hasn’t seen it in a while.

BD68CE10-86D1-446C-9AB5-874A11ADF1CD.jpeg

3EC386CF-58C4-43D5-BC86-ECFD4037E429.jpeg

627ADAB8-2597-4A4E-BCBB-0248D52B0DAC.jpeg

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I rarely extend the shield on my mark II, not that it is too flimsy…. though I’d certainly wouldn’t attach a phone holder to it.. 

Peter

In fairness maybe I won’t need to, but if the scout hut lights are intermittent as they were last time it would be useful. Think my phone holder days are over now anyway so that’s not a concern 😆

Wow, the top of the BHZ is totally different from the Celestron Regal 8-24mm zoom:

1185993829_ZoomEyepieceEyecupRemoved.thumb.JPG.c5bcf9d53f50cd13dc288415eabd7c9d.JPG

There's nothing flimsy about its eyecup once it's screwed on.  It has an inner plastic track that the outer ring twists up and down on.  I'm surprised Baader chose such a flimsy eyecup attachment method.  I've read that the Leica ASPH also has an easily broken eyecup.

8 hours ago, Louis D said:

Wow, the top of the BHZ is totally different from the Celestron Regal 8-24mm zoom:

1185993829_ZoomEyepieceEyecupRemoved.thumb.JPG.c5bcf9d53f50cd13dc288415eabd7c9d.JPG

There's nothing flimsy about its eyecup once it's screwed on.  It has an inner plastic track that the outer ring twists up and down on.  I'm surprised Baader chose such a flimsy eyecup attachment method.  I've read that the Leica ASPH also has an easily broken eyecup.

Yeah that looks much more similar to the mk 4 with the much wider rubber. No surprise that they upgraded.

Leica ASPH eyecup looks like the exact same piece, so that makes sense. Unfortunately doesn’t seem like the issue is widespread enough for a common fix.