Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - Io transit and grs 17/09/22

barkingsteve

I caught Jupiter to about the same time.

Seeing was the problem that night for me to, my 10" SCT on good nights comes close to my big refractor but not that night, smaller aperture 6" and no central obstruction helps with seeing. I also used a blue green filter and a fringe killer, this helps to sharpen up the features as does monochrome, colour is hard when seeing is bad, each colour (RGB) moves around at a different rate, blue the worst, red the least, you can see this in your colour image as it has a blue halo and blue haze indicating seeing.

Your eye can keep up with the seeing, you ignore the bad bits and absorb the good bits to build up an image so when you get those sparkling moments you see everything and it's awesome.

Just keep taking images and hope one captures a moment of clarity.

This was my best shot, I'm no expert I prefer visual but sometimes make the effort, sadly I lost Io's disk, it was very visible early on in the transit and imaged well, no idea where it went, still leaving a good shadow though.

Cheers Rod

2022-09-17-0119 Zeiss 150 f15 coude Vixen2x ASI174mm.jpg