NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting back into imaging... any help refreshing my memory to get me ready for Kielder in October appreciated.

MG01

Well, it's been a while and I hope everyone is well!  Almost 8 years since I began a bit of an astro imaging hiatus...I guess I shouldn't blame children, but...😝  I've no idea who is still about but thought I'd pop over here on the off chance I can get a little heads up as to what if much has changed.  I've not been keeping up due to family life and even lost my forum threads and posts (when it was upgraded? I assume?!?)  But I'm back and want to check what folk are using these days for guidance and capture etc.

I have a disassembled EQ6 to which I'm about to add a belt mod.  I'm probably going to go with the Rowan kit as that seems pretty solid, but nothing set in stone yet.

The mount will be carrying our OG WO FLT-132 (haven't checked it yet so hope it's okay!) being guided by an original lodestar attached to a WO ZS66.

I've not had a chance to have a play yet, but previously I was using the following software:

• Stellarium v0.11.0 - Navigation and target aquisition
  • FocusMax v3.4.3 - Focuser control
  • PHD - Guiding
  • APT v1.6 - Capture through DSLR
  • DSS v3.3.2 - Frame Stacking
  • Registax v5.1 - Frame Stacking

I also have EQMod downloaded but can't for the life of me remember what it did! 🤦‍♂️

Obviously I have some upgrading to do, but I was wondering if folk are still using these or if there are any new alteratives that might be worth looking into?

I'm happily using Stellarium, PHD2 and DSS.  I also use APT but it's up to version 4 now.  You will find that there is now loads more functionality in APT than you could possibly have dreamed of 8 years ago and it's still free (although I have promised to pay the 19 euros for a bona fide copy at some point).

Graeme

Edit.  EQMOD is the software that controls your mount.  You will need to have the ASCOM platform downloaded too. 

This post from 2020 gives a very good explanation on how to set your mount up to talk to stellarium.  Might refresh your memory...

Edited by jacko61
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of that is still in use albeit on newer versions. One of the best most recent additions is affordable on board mini computers either desktop operating system based or raspberry pi based. Ive gone down the RPI route, using zwo's asiair the most as it's compact, doesn't require much for additional equipment to power, and can operate over WiFi with my phone so no computer needed at the scope. You do however need to use zwo cameras, some DSLRs are compatible. Everything you need is within the unit, focus routine, polar alignment, preview, goto, plate solving, running plans, video, live stacking. Completely revolutionised my AP and all my equipment fits into one bag.

Your circumstances may be different however and used to using a computer/obsy type setup by the sound of your hardware.

CMOS camera sensors are also very good nowadays, up to the point where they sometimes don't even need on board cooling.

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

Thanks fellas...I knew I had to dowload latest versions but good to hear that these are still good apps to be using.  I actually paid for APT way back when...so hopefully i still get the upgrades.  I've forgotten his name, but I recall having great support from the developer.

3 hours ago, jacko61 said:

I'm happily using Stellarium, PHD2 and DSS.  I also use APT but it's up to version 4 now.  You will find that there is now loads more functionality in APT than you could possibly have dreamed of 8 years ago and it's still free (although I have promised to pay the 19 euros for a bona fide copy at some point).

Graeme

Edit.  EQMOD is the software that controls your mount.  You will need to have the ASCOM platform downloaded too. 

This post from 2020 gives a very good explanation on how to set your mount up to talk to stellarium.  Might refresh your memory...

That link was perfect jacko...and yeah, now I've seen some EQMOD screen shots I remember it's pretty much the heart of it all.  I used it with a game pad to control the scope.

3 hours ago, Elp said:

I think a lot of that is still in use albeit on newer versions. One of the best most recent additions is affordable on board mini computers either desktop operating system based or raspberry pi based. Ive gone down the RPI route, using zwo's asiair the most as it's compact, doesn't require much for additional equipment to power, and can operate over WiFi with my phone so no computer needed at the scope. You do however need to use zwo cameras, some DSLRs are compatible. Everything you need is within the unit, focus routine, polar alignment, preview, goto, plate solving, running plans, video, live stacking. Completely revolutionised my AP and all my equipment fits into one bag.

Your circumstances may be different however and used to using a computer/obsy type setup by the sound of your hardware.

CMOS camera sensors are also very good nowadays, up to the point where they sometimes don't even need on board cooling.

I recall a few folk talking about such wizardry back then...sounds like a neat solution that ZWO have put together...might have to look at that for a future upgrade, but no chance of our kit all fitting in one bag sadly...hard enough fitting it in one boot! 

Really looking forward to Kielder and I'm hoping to get the scopes out for my Scouts at some point too...if we get some clear skies and I'm up and running again!

Thanks again