NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro software can't control a camera lens focuser? (Indi/Kstars & Nikon)

pipnina

I figured that it would be quite simple, but I suppose that's a lot to ask in this hobby!

I have figured that a precise autofocus is going to be needed in order to get sharp results with my fast lens (f2.8) and a potential much faster future lens (f1.4), as the tolerance is so fine at this point, I can't actually adjust my lens's focus ring accurately enough!

I got a cable to connect my D3200 to my computer, yet while the driver allows me to take photos, adjust aperture, gain, and trigger a camera-based autofocus. It does not allow me to control the camera focus directly in the Kstars focus tab. This is odd as every other feature seems to be complete.

I have done some digging and not found much to suggest it's doable, is there something you need to enable to make this work, or are these lenses only autofocus-able with DIY measures or by ditching the DSLR in favour of a cooled astrocam using expensive kit like this?: https://www.siderealtrading.com.au/product/astromechanics-sbig-stl-ascom-canon-lens-controller-mark-ii/

I am quite keen to develop a widefield setup with camera lenses, but if autofocus is going to be very finnicky it could be yet another "equipment commissioning hell"

Anyone run a computerised DSLR-Lens setup here?

Think it's why people try to rig manual lenses with an eaf. I personally don't have an issue manually focusing if using the asiair focus routine, but you are right, it's a very fine focus point.

The joys of Nikon for astro , unfortunately neither digiCamControl or Backyardnikon support the D3200 , the only option is the rather expensive Nikon own software , and I wouldn't swear that that works with the D3200.

Umpteen things for Canon , even the supplied free EOS Utility which is why the vast majority of folk use Canon.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

The joys of Nikon for astro , unfortunately neither digiCamControl or Backyardnikon support the D3200 , the only option is the rather expensive Nikon own software , and I wouldn't swear that that works with the D3200.

Umpteen things for Canon , even the supplied free EOS Utility which is why the vast majority of folk use Canon.

The lack of free Nikon software for their cameras is something that has always annoyed me. I know this won't help withe D3200, but Nikon now offer free webcam software for selected newer cameras, which really surprised me. I wonder if it might work for astro. There is also a list of supported cameras at the link.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/220.html

• Like 1