Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IDAS NBZ Nebula Boost Filter

May be a daft question but I have just received a IDAS NBZ Nebula Booster Filter, when I was fitting it to my W/O Z73 field flattener the instructions for the F/F stated the filters used must be bi directional I have looked but not found any info that tells me if this filter is such. 

Filters where the orientation is important should have an arrow or caret mark on the rim which should point towards the light source. If there is no mark it implies that the orientation doesn't matter.

For filters where it does matter then the most reflective side of the filter, which is the side the caret mark points to, is the side that should be pointing towards the light source. This is to minimize potential reflections between the filter surface and the camera sensor which could have an adverse affect on the image.

The reason the F/F states that the filter should be bi-directional is that the filter has to be mounted the opposite way around in the rear of the F/F, compared to the usual filter mounting method.

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, symmetal said:

Filters where the orientation is important should have an arrow or caret mark on the rim which should point towards the light source. If there is no mark it implies that the orientation doesn't matter.

For filters where it does matter then the most reflective side of the filter, which is the side the caret mark points to, is the side that should be pointing towards the light source. This is to minimize potential reflections between the filter surface and the camera sensor which could have an adverse affect on the image.

The reason the F/F states that the filter should be bi-directional is that the filter has to be mounted the opposite way around in the rear of the F/F, compared to the usual filter mounting method.

Alan

Thanks Alan ,there was nothing to indicate any particular direction on the filter i could see.

31 minutes ago, ninjageezer said:

Thanks Alan ,there was nothing to indicate any particular direction on the filter i could see.

When in doubt, If the filter is in a cell, then the end with the male threads will always go towards the cameras…

🤔 Strange you flattener requires it to be the other way round, but the filter could be swapped around in the cell, by removing the locking ring and flipping over, not a difficult job as long as the locking ring is not too tight

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

🤔 Strange you flattener requires it to be the other way round, but the filter could be swapped around in the cell, by removing the locking ring and flipping over, not a difficult job as long as the locking ring is not too tight

The Z73A F/F, which I assume ninjageezer has, has the filter mounted on the rear of the flattener like this so is the 'wrong' way round. It also prevents the adjustable ring from reaching zero if fitted, and adjustment is then from around 5 to 15mm.

781010115_Z73AFilter.png.f8e550ea9470a46a4f42326fd67f3b04.png

The newer, and more expensive Z73R F/F intended for larger sensors does have the filter screwing into the front of the flattener after the camera rotator, so is the 'right' way round and doesn't affect the adjustment range. 🙂

Alan 

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 2