Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Basic images Jupiter , Saturn, Mars

Mart29

Hello all , so astronomy on the whole I'm pretty decent , finding a d getting good view , I'm happy. 

I have my dream scope which I don't think I will get bored of. 

What I would like is to get some basic images of the planets.  I say basic cos I don't want to get fully into astrophotography.  Would rather look at the amazing images you guys do. 

But a few images would be nice nothing great ,  the moon on my phone through the scope  is good enough for me.

Advice and basic kit is all I need. 

Like Saturn looks great through the eyepiece but if it's just a yellow image with one ring on the  image and Jupiter is just a few cloud bands on a white disc , then that is all I'm after from imaging for me.

What I see with the eyepiece is more important in my case. 

Edited by Mart29

You've pretty much got what you need to try.

However, good clear planetary imaging requires taking lots of images (a few thousand at a time) due to the wobbling and blurring effect the earth's atmosphere has, hence taking lots of images increases the probability of capturing an image whilst the atmospheric turbulence was relatively still (lucky imaging), take enough of these and use a computer program to sort through them and stack the best, then you get a decent image. An astro camera is a vital piece of kit for this.

You can try with your phone through an eyepiece if you can hold the camera still enough and far enough to focus, though it can be problematic.

• Like 1

Does your scope track?

If so - maybe lookup smart phone eyepiece attachment - or if you have access to 3d printer - I'm sure one can be printed.

In any case - it will be much easier to take image that way then by holding smart phone over the eyepiece.

That is as basic as it gets - but you will still be able to do what you expect.

• Like 1