NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Varilock - Stuck...

I recently bought a Baader Varilock extension tube in the hope of solving problems I've been having setting back focus with my Baader MPC III coma corrector + ZWO OAG v2 + ZWO 2600 MCPRO camera.

My initial attempts to use the Varilock were hopeless, as trying to adjust everything & keep the OAG from obscuring the camera chip proved impossible.

I think I've now figured that I need to have a 23.5mm extension (to get the 57.5mm required from the coma corrector (with collar ring removed), as the OAG has a width of 16.5mm and camera's sensor distance of 17.5mm)... BUT the Varilock is currently locked solid & I can't loosen any part of it.

Any ideas on how to loosen it so I can set it to the required distance? Can I use WD40 or a light oil?

Many thanks

Ivor

varilock.jpg

I take it that's just the locking ring and the threaded part can be move in and out? Have you tried the 2 trainer technique?

I think T2 or M42 is a bit small as well for that sensor. Would be better with M48 if using an OAG.

Edited by david_taurus83
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2022 at 22:37, Aramcheck said:

I recently bought a Baader Varilock extension tube in the hope of solving problems I've been having setting back focus with my Baader MPC III coma corrector + ZWO OAG v2 + ZWO 2600 MCPRO camera.

My initial attempts to use the Varilock were hopeless, as trying to adjust everything & keep the OAG from obscuring the camera chip proved impossible.

I think I've now figured that I need to have a 23.5mm extension (to get the 57.5mm required from the coma corrector (with collar ring removed), as the OAG has a width of 16.5mm and camera's sensor distance of 17.5mm)... BUT the Varilock is currently locked solid & I can't loosen any part of it.

Any ideas on how to loosen it so I can set it to the required distance? Can I use WD40 or a light oil?

Many thanks

Ivor

Does it not come with a tool to fit? Mine has.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iapa said:

Does it not come with a tool to fit? Mine has.

It does, but I couldn't loosen it with the supplied tool. I should be alright now the 2 x trainer method has loosened the rings up...

Thanks
Ivor