SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars, Jupiter and Saturn from 15.8

ONIKKINEN

Here is another 3 planet composite with my 8'' F/4.4 barlowed to ~F/10 or so. This time with the new ASI 678MC:

1325593171_MarsJupiterSaturn15.8.jpg.1f02da6ddd42c8df240030446087ab32.jpg

Processing Jupiter was quite difficult, i really have no clue on what sliders to pull and how much and in what software. So its a mix of a bit of everything in AS!3, RegiStax, imppg, Photoshop, but quite happy on the level of detail i teased out of it in the end! I hope i can figure out a workflow for planetary stuff as i get more time in with the new camera.

Saturn in this shot is benefiting from some trickery with filters, its not actually just an RGB shot with the OSC camera. I used a Celestron #25 "Mars" filter as a budget IR filter to pass everything above 600nm and used that as a luminance layer. Judging from the fact that i had plenty of signal in the blue channel and looking at the spectral response graph from ZWO it looks like the cheap Celestron filter will let at least some IR through all the way to what the camera can see. The trickery produced a slightly less soft image than with just the OSC data, but its still not great. Will probably get an ADC once my wallet recovers from the previous astronomy purchases.

For comparison i got this one 2 weeks ago with an IMX571 camera at ~F/13

Mars-Jupiter-Saturn4.png.2bdcc2c0ecbd9819bf583879b3c5ac17.png

Saturn is only getting lower in the sky for the remainder of the year, but the 2 others i will have plenty of opportunities to try and improve further along the year. Very excited for Mars to creep up a bit closer!

• Like 6