NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Veils

powerlord

Lovely seeing last night in Glevering campsite. Second night of imaging - this time The Veil Nebulas - same kit - redcat (now working flawlessly) and asi2600.

Only shot this target once before, and with far more inferior a result.

280 mins of 3 min exposures. I shot with gain 0 this time rather than 100. individual sub looked cleaner as you'd expect. Maybe I should stick with 100, but 0 does seem to give good results too.

And look at those stars - pin sharp edge to edge with  the APS-C sensor now ES Reid has done his magic.

ASIAIR was telling me my stars are <2 pixels so definitely no binning here with the resolution of the asi2600 being fully used.

I've not touched the colour balance of this - it is 'as is' as shot with the 2" L-extreme.

Still not got my dark library for the asi2600 so flats and bias only. I have notice horizontal banding on the bias frames which is coming through on the images  -see attached example bias. is this typical ?

veil.nodarks.thumb.jpg.2418573c4f5bfa73f5787e6eda006c57.jpg

example bias with banding.fit

• Like 7

Hi

Nice image for something raw. I hope you post a processed version once you have your darks. Being an astromasochist I am working on a 12 panel mosaic using my SW 200pds and ASI1600MM and I would find a comparison very interesting. Just need 2 or 3 more clear nights and a few hours/days at my computer!

Adrian