Overcame My Laziness With The Big Frac

Mid-evening Friday, sky light, Moon first quarter, low, west of south.

Shall I bother or not?  The only cool 'scope was the AR127L long frac in the shed.  I've not used it much lately, convincing myself it was bulky and awkward.  Nonsense!  The Skytee II was ready to go, and the 'scope was on there and in action in no time.  It was after all very quick and easy to use this fine instrument.  (And to think I almost sold it not very long ago!)

I took a quick look at Archimedes near the terminator, with the Spitzbergen Mountains to the north, and the Archimedes Mountains to the south.  Tiny Bancroft lay SW, right on the terminator.

I used the 17.5mm Morpheus, giving x69 and 1.11deg of field.  There was some shimmering around the limb, but no CA.  

A pleasant, short, impromptu session, from which my hesitation in using the long frac has been well and truly dispelled!

Doug.

AR127L.JPG

• Like 15

Those 5" achros are really very good at around f/10, despite the current ED craze, they can be had for peanuts secondhand and show very little ca. A great all-rounder but being so long they do need a Skytee or EQ5, preferably with an extension pillar. I use to leave mine outside under a tarp.

• Like 2

I told you not to get rid of it. Absolutely brilliant scopes my Meade now with the dual focuser is fantastic. I am hoping to get out in the week  my toe is still hurting especially when I have trainers on, hoping it calms down its been over two weeks now.

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

Maybe I need an f/12??

There's an Fr Telescopes 5" at f/13 on ABS, handmade in Belgium and are no longer in production. With an Istar USA objective and a Moonlight dual speed it looks the business. I'd love it but it would kill my GP mount and I have no plans on upgrading to an EQ6.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on getting your big frac out! Know exactly what you mean with the "shall I bother or not?" I own an Altair 125 EDF, mounted on the Sabre Mount, they are a delight, but the set up necessitates 3 trips to and from the car to the observing pads, when you get a decent night though, it's well worth the effort.  Hoping that the clear skies forecasted for Seething this Friday hold, with moonrise at around 23:30, there's some observing to be enjoyed. Goof luck! 

• Like 1