Word of caution - happy ending!!

With Galaxy season in full swing and Nebulae of on their jollies for while, I've removed my wide field system and am in the process of installing my 8" Reflector. As I was fitting the 80mm guide 'scope, I felt a tiny movement, checked the focus unit and all was tight, felt the dew shield, solid as a rock but giving the 'scope a little wave (not exactly a shake!) I could definitely feel something moving :)

Removing the dew shield (which is so tight that I 'unscrew' it slightly as I pull it off, I realised that this very action was slightly unscrewing the plastic collar that retains the lens cell - it was the lens cell that was a fraction loose. Maybe, just maybe, my differential flexure will be improved now that the guide 'scope primary is actually fitted tightly !!

Might be worth checking yours too if you use the Skywatcher/Orion/Celestron ST 80 Refractor as a guide 'scope.

Thats worth looking out for although it can also be useful to be able to very slightly loosen the lens retrining ring as, if it's over tight, it can cause astigmatism in the images because the lens is under stress.

John

Good tips to think about, especially if, like most of us still do, have to move your scope outside every night. I take some time a few times a year, during cloudy spells to check bolts and screws, clean the glass, etc. Preventative maintenance ain't just for cars anymore. :cool:Good to know things are ready to go when you are....

Archived