Have i just broke my PST?

hi Guys

I was out for the first time in ages using my pst, not much to report on the sun though.

Still i think i will be able to image with it when the sun starts to show activity!

BUT i discovered the eyepiece tube unscrews. So looking to explore this, i unscrewed it

It discover it appears there was some glue or greese under the tube i unsrewed.

Also the seems to be a red filter under the part i unscrewed and removed which seems to be meeting another like coloured filter.

Is thsi the part which comes apart to remove the need for a barlow.

Sorry if this is not clear. But clearly the dangers of observing the sun with a telescope, i am a tad concerned i have damaged the instrument,

What do you guys think?

I know an earlier PST does do this, but later models dont, perhaps i have an earlier version?

Advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Al

Yours (with the red filter) is the newer version. The glue or grease is thread locking compound and meant to prevent the unscrewing. If you put it back together it should be OK as I did this (intentionally) and it still worked afterwards.

The newer version doesn't have a bit you can take away to use without the Barlow lens as you would be taking away the red filter as well which would not be good.

Kaptain Klevtsov

The eyepiece holder on the PST has two parts.

On the original "Gold" objective PST the part closest to the square body was just a spacer, and the top section ( where the eyepiece goes in) has the small red Blocking Filter, about 5mm diameter.

When Coronado replaced/ re-designed the PST with the "Blue" objective, they added an extra energy rejection filter ( red filter) at the front of this spacer; so now you have two filters for even added safety.

Archived