Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another solar observing hack

Paz

I spent a couple of hours observing the sun this morning in white light, this is I think the longest I've ever done in one stint.

A while back I got a solar observing shield/blanket which has been great but today I added a "skirt" to the tripod legs to stop glare from the ground and to stop my legs getting cooked.

It was nice and cool/dim under there hence I ended up observing for so long and even did some sketching which is not something I do often.

There's a lot of white light activity with two lines of spot activity across the face, one above and one below the equator.

20220717_103138.thumb.jpg.f18fabe1164adba8c103b9db450a464a.jpg

Edited by Paz
  • Like 6

Given the temperatures forecast for the next couple days, id consider wearing that to the shops as well as for observing.

Im loving solar observing.  There is so much happening on the sun right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Is that an 'astro' blanket, or a car windscreen cover?

The thing around the tripod legs is a photographer's shroud that I got to try as a solar observing hood but it was no good for that - not blocking enough light or heat. It got replaced by the telegizmos shroud that I now use. But the photographer's shroud is good enough for its new purpose.

Edited by Paz
  • Thanks 1

In this period I am not observing the Sun constantly because between taking the dog out in the morning and then going to the sea to take the usual dip, the time is reduced; it is true, however, that in these days (but already in December) our star deserves to be observed. I always do a pencil drawing, at least half an hour leaves to make a well done sketch, with all the smallest specks and the smallest details. With the heat here I go roast but it's worth it!

• Like 1