NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Schoolboy error help

Hello all.

I have a ZWO DUO Band filter which had a finger print smear on it, so I decided to use baader fluid to clean it. 

Now it shows a purple smeared tinge to it from the attempted clean.

I have some de-ionised water available. Would a careful clean with cotton buds lightly dampened and dried the same method be adviseable?

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

Use the buds (Q-tips in the States) with pure isopropyl alcohol.  You may have to go over it 2 or 3 times to be sure you left no smears.

Just to add that you may have to order the pure isopropyl alcohol online if you are U.K. based.  Most chemists don’t stock it due to theft/break ins. Hand gel contains it but other stuff too so buy the genuine article.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Use the buds (Q-tips in the States) with pure isopropyl alcohol.  You may have to go over it 2 or 3 times to be sure you left no smears.

11 hours ago, woldsman said:

Just to add that you may have to order the pure isopropyl alcohol online if you are U.K. based.  Most chemists don’t stock it due to theft/break ins. Hand gel contains it but other stuff too so buy the genuine article.

The usual suspect Amazon were obliging. Thanks guys.

On 05/07/2022 at 11:02, bomberbaz said:

I have a ZWO DUO Band filter which had a finger print smear on it, so I decided to use baader fluid to clean it.

I usually just blow off dust and then huff some breath moisture onto the surface and lightly wipe the fingerprint off with a clean microfiber cloth.  Don't scrub.  Repeat huffing and gently wiping with clean sections of the cloth in various patterns until it comes off.  I've been using the technique on camera lenses, eyepieces, and filters for decades without noticeable degradation of the coatings.  The quicker you get the fingerprint off, the easier it is to remove in my experience.  When I'm in the field in the dark, I wouldn't trust myself using cleaning liquids around optics other than breath moisture.

I'm loath to put chemicals on optical surfaces unless it's to remove hardened/sticky gunk, which most fingerprints are not.  The exception would be fingerprints at outreach events.  But, I wouldn't have my nice optics available for touching in that situation.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2022 at 17:02, bomberbaz said:

Hello all.

Now it shows a purple smeared tinge to it from the attempted clean.

I have some de-ionised water available. Would a careful clean with cotton buds lightly dampened and dried the same method be adviseable?

Aside the cosmetic there may be no discernible impact. Rather than risk any further damage I would test it first by imaging with it before doing anymore cleaning.  You may find it is perfectly fine. 

Jim