Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Siril 1.0.3 new features

markse68

The price to performance ratio of Siril just keeps on getting better.

Looks like there is some learning to do with the new stretching tool. I couldn't make perfect sense of it in a few minutes at least.

12 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Gave it a try using one of my images of M13. On the left is using asinh, histogram stretch and on the right is using GHT. Certainly makes a big difference without blowing out core or star bloat.

image.thumb.png.b0fca4c29282d1d208d51ab649ba5f1c.png

That worked great Astromuni- you managed to stretch much more detail out whilst improving the star colours! I too was playing with my M13 data last night with the new tools as it happens, but struggled a bit- need to play some more. What are the details for your M13? (scope, camera, exposures, bortle etc) How did you choose the symmetry point- middle of the histogram spike?

On a tangent, looking at Globulars it’s easy to just dismiss them as “they all look the same” “just a mass of pretty coloured stars” but they are a real challenge to image well I think. In M13 there’s a star of interest- Barnard 29-M13. It’s believed to be at the end of its life and could be about to form a planetary nebula.

http://www.messier.seds.org/more/m013_b29.html

I believe it’s the particularly bright blue star i marked up in your image here. Find the distinctive triple orange stars, move across to the other side to the paw print stars then follow the outer 2 toe print stars to the bright blue star- I think that’s Barnard 29- M13 (correct me if I’m wrong)

Mark

16B0B25E-317A-4A84-8A4D-8FAF1BAC92B1.jpeg

PS your image is flipped compared to mine- didn’t you do photometric cali? Mine gets flipped when i do

Edited by markse68

On 02/07/2022 at 09:53, markse68 said:

PS your image is flipped compared to mine- didn’t you do photometric cali? Mine gets flipped when i do

Siril complained that it couldnt do photometric calibration on mine, perhaps due to the small FOV.

On 02/07/2022 at 09:53, markse68 said:

What are the details for your M13? (scope, camera, exposures, bortle etc) How did you choose the symmetry point- middle of the histogram spike?

Astromaster 130 on HEQ5 Pro, ASI224MC, 30s x 60 subs. Bortle 6.

I didnt muck about with the symmetry point, just left it at default.

Something new to learn about Barnard-29. I wasnt aware of this  🙂

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Like 1