NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Camera and CF card

Taff

Depends on which camera you have. Some DSLR's allow you to capture straight to the computer Hard Drive.

I suspect that is not what you are asking though.

Other cameras have a built in memory, but it is usually small capacity 16Mb or thereabouts. This is separate from the Flash card you insert.

Ron.

Taff, the camera should give you an indication as to how many shots left it can take given your current setttings (Iso, exposure length and target will determine the filesize roughly) and the space left on the card. The canon 450d has an option to allow you to take the card out and have the camera dump images straight to the PC as soon as its taken them, I don't think your canon has that facility though.

Mark, I don't think the buffer in an SLR will hold data indeterminantly. It's there purely to allow card write times to take a while. That's why on the 450d I can shoot 6 frames of RAW on continuous at 3 fps, then it starts taking about 1.5 seconds per frame as the buffer is full. Without a card or computer connection, I can set the camera to fire the shutter, but there's no point as the info captured won't be stored anywhere.

Archived