Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where should I stick it? (my filter!)

Hi Guys,

Quick question about imaging train setups.

I currently have an ASI-533MC pro, which requires some extension tubes to achieve focus in my SW ED80.

I've been connecting it as Camera > Extension Tubes > 1.25" Nosepiece Adapter > Filter (either IR Cut or L-Extreme) > Scope

Is this an OK way to do things, or do I need to get the filter closer to the sensor? 

Any advice?

Chris

Hi Chris,

You can probably get away with it like that as the sensor is small and very forgiving, however I had my filter as close to the sensor as possible for best practice.

I threaded my UV/IR cut filter into the provided T2-1.25" adapter, then threaded that adapter into the first backspace extension that was threaded to the camera body. This left the filter body about 1mm from the AR glass window.

Cheers bud. I was thinking about getting the .85 flattener/reducer and that lead me to ponder how I'd connect it with the filter in the mix!

I'll give it a try next time the clouds clear off!

Chris

I was typing the same thing as @Pitch Black Skies but got beaten to it :D, so here's the link to the adaptor on FLO's website if you don't have one: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-t2-to-125-filter-holder.html

With my ASI294MC Pro, I used this method when I started using filters, now I use a filter draw, so I can change filter without taking the rig apart. ;)

Edited by Budgie1
  • Haha 1

The only thing I would say about putting filters very close to the sensor is that there is a risk of reflections on bright stars. If you don't need the filter too close then having it slightly further away can alleviate the problem. Probably not a problem with your set up, but with some scopes it can be a problem.

• Like 1