Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another mod: Skywatcher tube rings handle/piggyback

PhillyDee

Looks a very useful modification "PhillyDee!"

So you have the dovetail underneath, and your strengthening bar/camera holder on top.

I can appreciate that it must instantly eradicate any "play" on the top of the rings, and make it easier to slacken the rings a bit to swivel the tube around if required.

A good sound idea.

Regards,

philsail1

Hallo, Ive been busy again!

The finished article! I think im going to paint it black to match the tube rings and mount though!

attachment.php?attachmentid=55&thumb=1&d=1237565015

Just a simple handle / piggyback adapter for tube rings.

Hi PhillyDee.

I'm looking to add a piggyback bracket to my skywatcher aswell. Your image may help me design mine.

I've just purchased a cheap camera tripod off ebay with a sturdy quick release bracket and I'm gonna have a try at making a similar bracket to yours and then take off the quick release bracket from the tripod and mount it to the bracket I make.

Will post an image if it works.

Cheers

neil

• 3 weeks later...

Hi PhillyDee,

I've finished my piggyback bracket/handle with the quick release switch so I can take my canon on and off quickly.

I picked up a piece of metal struct from work, cut it to size and attached it to the scope's tube brackets.

I then purched a cheap (£5.99) mini tripod with quick release, cut off the legs, drilled a couple of holes and connected this to the metal struct.

Took less then an hour to do and cost only £5.99 I already had the tools and nuts & bolts.

Have a look at the pics -

post-16160-133877365143_thumb.jpg

post-16160-133877365151_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil

I like that, very inventive ;). Yours has much better adjustment. I can see a new revision being made to mine :rolleyes:

Could do with some tarting up, perhaps a coat of paint!

Mine, now painted!, with my dew bands and dew heater at kielder. Im rebuilding the dew controller to a 4 channel one for October.

heaterbands.jpg

Archived