Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar alignment yet again...

Well, today we thought we have a go and start to attempt this polar alignment with the HEQ5.

I have found Astro Baby`s really good tutorial online and tried to follow it.

Everything was good so far until we came to the "adjust the screws with the Allen key bit" The target (top of neighbours conservatory) was not really far out of the cross hair bit, maybe 2mm out when you look through the polar scope.

My dilemma now was that when I tried to move the reticule with the screws nothing would happen.

I loosened and tightened them carefully, but somehow nothing obvious happened.

Is there a trick to this? Do the screws have to be tight before I start the whole alignment process? Does the reticule move by only loosen one screw or do they all have to be kind of loose?

I guess you guys must be fed up with this beginner question, but I would really appreciate if someone could help me here :)

Cheers for now

Martina

The reticule moves. You have to loosen one screw then tighten the other two. NEVER loosen any of the scrtews by more than 1/8th of a turn.

It takes a bit of prcatice to get it right.

The movement is very slight as well. When you say your 2mm away I guess you mean visually on the reticule. That will mean your VERY close.

Cheers Astro Baby!

So does that mean I start with all of the screws slightly loose, loose one even more and tighten the other ones a little, turn the mount, align on the target again and then start the procedure all over?

Or

Tighten and loose all of the screws at the same time and then flip over the mount again for a second round?

Yes, I ment the target is out what looks about 2 mm off away from the cross hair, so thats not too bad then?

I do apologize for maybe not being able to explain things better, I am German :)

Archived