Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Comparison

LDW1

This is just the start ! I have 3 Svbony zooms, all cost $125 C or much less. I have been reading about, told about, researched the qualities of the Baader Mark IV so I decided to buy one to compare with, at 3-4 times the $'s. At this point I have seen nothing that would justify that extra. So far I have used my NP101 and my 90mm, f5.5 refractors under good average nites. I have touched base also with my solar WL and Ha scopes, same conclusion but I am not finished, will get back later. I am putting this out now to tell some to not make a decision too fast !   PS  I am a Baader astronomer, I have a set of Morpheuses but in this case ....... !

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 4

Comparing different eyepieces, zoom or fixed focal length, is a complex evaluation to make definite conclusions.

Factors include-  type of telescope used, long or short focal length, well corrected or otherwise, atmospheric conditions, the users eyesight, if the tester wears glasses, whether you’re tired or not…..etc.

The NP101 from TeleVue is a superbly corrected instrument so unlikely to be a problem, assuming good condition.  The fact that TeleVue have long discontinued the TV 8-24 zoom (Vixen made) and currently only have the wonderful 3-6 zoom  tells us something, they think that in general fixed focal length delivers best performance.

Having said that the obvious convenience of a zoom leads many observers to be happy using one, any deficiencies acceptable.

If it works for you, that’s what really matters 😊

• Like 4