SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion Optics UK

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Indeed, John has often posted about the curved vane slides on his 12”. I suspect it makes splitting doubles easier as you can’t lose the secondary star behind a diffraction spike.

In theory, a single 180 degree curved vane support would be shorter than the figure of 8 design and therefore have less overall diffraction but it may not be that noticeable a difference.

I have considered removing opposing halves of the figure 8 vanes to leave an 'S' shape, is that what you mean Stu?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Yep, it’s a cracking scope. Amazing performance for not a lot of money compared with the alternatives.

A028D53C-2DE7-4294-B40F-1A229356F7D4.jpeg

Lovely scope Stu, do I detect it's not all original?

On 03/06/2022 at 19:09, ukskies said:

Lovely scope Stu, do I detect it's not all original?

Indeed not, it’s had quite a history really.

I bought it as an OTA, and managed to source the correct height dob base for it through sheer luck really.

It then had a nasty accident as described in this thread.

I used the top ring from the old 8” f6 tube in the repair on the f8. I thought about painting the top ring black but it shows what the scope has been through, so I left it as it is.

It remains a cracking scope optically, although it’s quite tall and prone to vibration so I normally use it on the EQ platform.

• Like 1