Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO or Altair 183 (non tech cooled)

Portech7

10 hours ago, Portech7 said:

Hi all

Apart from the passive fan cooling on the Altair Hyper Cam 183C, is there any performance difference to the ZWO ASI183 please? 

Thx

D

What are you planning to use it for and with what scope?  Shockingly the fan cooling can make up to 7c difference in some conditions and so that's half the thermal noise. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

I wanted an all rounder really, but deep sky predominantly. 

I have 3 scopes, a 200mm F5 reflector  which is my go to scope, a 90mm F5.5 refractor as a grab and go, and a 120mm F8.3 refractor which I use for solar with a Herschel wedge. 

Thx

D

23 hours ago, Portech7 said:

I wanted an all rounder really, but deep sky predominantly. 

I have 3 scopes, a 200mm F5 reflector  which is my go to scope, a 90mm F5.5 refractor as a grab and go, and a 120mm F8.3 refractor which I use for solar with a Herschel wedge. 

Thx

D

Honestly I would no longer consider the imx183 as the best solution in terms of uncooled DSO imaging anymore. I assume you don't want cooled due to the budget. Why OSC? 

ASI533mm is or will be out soon. The ASI485 is out now and might be an better option for you. But if it was me I would go with the 533 once it's out, amp glow on the 183 makes calibration really hard for DSO imaging.