SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser 8x56 Special Jagd Binocular

I'm wondering if any of you guys have used, or have any knowledge of these particular bins, especially for astronomy. They seem to get reasonably positive reviews from bird spotting enthusiasts and the like but I can't find much else with regard to night time performance.

Thanks in advance

Are you thinking of the porro or roof prism version?

A quick search returned the porro as a zoom which I'd avoid for night sky use. I've not tried either but I expect the roof should give reasonable views but may show the roof edge against a bright target like the moon - or may not depending on how well the prisms are ground etc. I've a very old jagd that are hensoldt wetzlar jagd-dialyt 6x42 circa 1945 and they show nicely when I've used them so a 8x56 pair with modern coatings might perform well too assuming build quality is up to the mark. Some other older (70-80's) roof prism bins I have and tried aimed at the moon tho do show a line in the view from the roof edge but not against the stars unless one happens to be bright and on the roof edge in the view. I tend to check collimation using the stars which is how I noted that trait.

Only way to know for sure with the Bresser I guess would be to give them a try and return if they don't suit. I don't know what the build quality is like, don't Lidl/Aldi sometimes sell this brand and collimation can be lucky or not? Hopefully someone else on here can give better info from hand-on experience rather than me rambling on experience of the ones I have in my collection 🙂