Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just broke my tube ring!

Lovely clear skies tonight so decided to get the scope out and do some imaging. I mounted my Skywatcher tube rings for the ST-102 guidescope on top of the rings for the ED80 and tightened everything up in an attempt to reduce flexure. Unfortunately, I applied a little too much force and cracked the ring where the base nut threads through. :) The whole thing has just fallen apart.

I think it's time to buy some more substantial rings and dovetail bar in order to reduce/eliminate flexure. Has anyone tried the ones from Williams Optics? They look beefier and wider but I'm not sure whether they'll fit my scopes.

Can't believe I've done this on the only night when the skies are completely cloud-free.:)

... at least I've got a good excuse to go shopping for some more gear. :D

hi

yes they are loads better but you have to make sure they are correct for your tube

a lot of skywatcher scopes use a 100mm tube where as the standard william optics rings are 90mm

there are plenty of suppliers or cnc machined rings on the internet

parralax

rays rings

to name a couple, once you have had proper rings on a scope you will not go back but if you had flexure i find its the dovetail a lot of the time in piggy back setups so get a quality dovetail as well :)

Archived