SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Field Flatteners

bomberbaz

Hello all.

I use for my imaging an evoguide Sky-Watcher EvoGuide 50ED Guidescope | First Light Optics and it's accompanying FF Sky-Watcher Field Flattener for EvoGuide 50ED | First Light Optics

I bought the pairing as it just seemed the logical thing to do but the downside is I cannot fit a filter wheel to it due to lack of back focus room. (Roughly 10mm)

Now on the upside to this is using a OSC I only really need a UV/IR cut and a dual narrowband filter and maybe a neodymium type filter. 

I can of course have the IR/UV cut permanently mounted using this  adaptor which is how it currently is Astro Essentials M42 to 1.25" Filter Holder / Adapter | First Light Optics

But my questions are, and bearing in mind it is quite wide field using a ZWO 183mc pro is how essential is the FF to results (will there be significant field curvature) & is there a chance I get vignetting if I stack filters using the adaptor instead?

cheers for any helpful info

Steve

I'm using a different FF but I only got one filter into that adaptor. When I took an image with no FF and a DSLR curvature was pretty big and I do have after with the FF to see the difference, you could try without the FF and your OSC and see, I've only used my OSC with a FF I didn't take a before shot.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I'm using a different FF but I only got one filter into that adaptor. When I took an image with no FF and a DSLR curvature was pretty big and I do have after with the FF to see the difference, you could try without the FF and your OSC and see, I've only used my OSC with a FF I didn't take a before shot.

Dya know what, sometimes the most obvious answers are the ones you don't think of.  I honestly never thought of just taking a few basic pictures and comparing, dohhh!