NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WOZ73 first light with the moon.

Olli

After receiving my new scope a couple of weeks ago I have been itching to use it with the az gti after having a few woes before with tracking problems with SynScan, and after a lot of help on here once again I think I have finally figured it out ( so he says!) 

it was only a short session today as the clouds were rolling in and wasn’t feeling that great after being tested positive for covid I thought I’d give the moon a try as it is one of my favourite objects to look at. 

after doing a 2 star alignment with the mount everything seemed to be aligned great and adjusting the slew speed  was a life saver. Wish I had found out sooner! I first put in my 24mm ES eyepiece in and the moon was perfectly framed in the scope and my first reaction was how sharp everything was. I could easily see a lot of detail across the moon and even across the terminator. As well as the non illuminated surface which was quite surprising!

Coming from a dob I was pleasantly surprised. Next I changed out the eyepiece for the 14mm and again  the detail was still great as using the 24mm nice and crisp. Tracking was great with the mount will hopefully get into sketching when looking at the moon . I definitely need to learn my craters as I wasn’t really sure what I was looking at but it looked great .

It is amazing what looking at the stars does for your well-being even if it’s only for a quick session. I think this scope will probably last me a lifetime and can’t wait to use it more especially for imaging and DSO. ( hopefully the repairs go okay with Flo next week!) 

Clear skies 

Olli

• Like 4

Excellent! Glad you've managed to get up and running. The ZS73 is a fantastic little scope and punches well above its weight for the size. It's also surprisingly good for planetary views - the image is small but very crisp and detailed. 

You're going to have lots of fun with this scope 🙂

On 07/05/2022 at 22:09, Olli said:

After receiving my new scope a couple of weeks ago I have been itching to use it with the az gti after having a few woes before with tracking problems with SynScan, and after a lot of help on here once again I think I have finally figured it out ( so he says!) 

it was only a short session today as the clouds were rolling in and wasn’t feeling that great after being tested positive for covid I thought I’d give the moon a try as it is one of my favourite objects to look at. 

after doing a 2 star alignment with the mount everything seemed to be aligned great and adjusting the slew speed  was a life saver. Wish I had found out sooner! I first put in my 24mm ES eyepiece in and the moon was perfectly framed in the scope and my first reaction was how sharp everything was. I could easily see a lot of detail across the moon and even across the terminator. As well as the non illuminated surface which was quite surprising!

Coming from a dob I was pleasantly surprised. Next I changed out the eyepiece for the 14mm and again  the detail was still great as using the 24mm nice and crisp. Tracking was great with the mount will hopefully get into sketching when looking at the moon . I definitely need to learn my craters as I wasn’t really sure what I was looking at but it looked great .

It is amazing what looking at the stars does for your well-being even if it’s only for a quick session. I think this scope will probably last me a lifetime and can’t wait to use it more especially for imaging and DSO. ( hopefully the repairs go okay with Flo next week!) 

Clear skies 

Olli

I just received a Stellamira 80 f10 and like you have come from using a dob. I too was amazed at how crisp views of the moon are compared with the dob. It’s also a lot easier to carry out into the back garden as well, which is a bonus

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YogSothoth said:

I just received a Stellamira 80 f10 and like you have come from using a dob. I too was amazed at how crisp views of the moon are compared with the dob. It’s also a lot easier to carry out into the back garden as well, which is a bonus

Congrats on your new scope! One of the main reasons I switched was because of the portability really nice to be able to carry it with one hand. Hopefully you get lots of use out of it .

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, badhex said:

Excellent! Glad you've managed to get up and running. The ZS73 is a fantastic little scope and punches well above its weight for the size. It's also surprisingly good for planetary views - the image is small but very crisp and detailed. 

You're going to have lots of fun with this scope 🙂

I wasn’t expecting much for the planets but I was pleasantly surprised. Really excited to try it out with other targets and use higher magnification with planets. Thanks for the previous help.

• Like 1