SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ideas for a dob mount for Cape Newise 200X

cigraphics

Lots of options to build a DIY Dob mount.

If it were me I’d make a short plywood box to take the tube assembly with the altitude bearings fixed on each side.  Then a regular plywood Dob mount as found on the Stellafane telescope website. (Sorry couldn’t make the link work). Just search for “Stellafane” and you should find it.  Having found it there’s lots of stuff if you look around the site.

With a short tube assembly like the Cape Newise the mount needs to be tall enough to make viewing comfortable.  I’d consider seated observing so the mount doesn’t have to be too tall and therefore unstable.

Wishing you success……cheers, Ed.

On 08/05/2022 at 17:30, NGC 1502 said:

Lots of options to build a DIY Dob mount.

If it were me I’d make a short plywood box to take the tube assembly with the altitude bearings fixed on each side.  Then a regular plywood Dob mount as found on the Stellafane telescope website. (Sorry couldn’t make the link work). Just search for “Stellafane” and you should find it.  Having found it there’s lots of stuff if you look around the site.

With a short tube assembly like the Cape Newise the mount needs to be tall enough to make viewing comfortable.  I’d consider seated observing so the mount doesn’t have to be too tall and therefore unstable.

Wishing you success……cheers, Ed.

Thank you for the response. I'm looking into Stellafane and see what i can come up with. A 3 legs fishing chair might work :D

• Like 1

First design might cause issues in terms of cooling, air flow to the primary, plus collimation if you need to adjust it.

Generally, is it worth building some more height into the base, otherwise it may end up quite awkward to use unless put on a table or water butt stand.

• 1 month later...

So many options…..only you will know what suits you best.

For me being purely visual I’d stick to a Dob mount.  The fact that the tube assembly is supported on both sides helps a great deal with stability.

As mentioned earlier, best to make the mount tall enough for seated observing.  The Cape Newise can be difficult to collimate, but with patience it can be done.  The physically short tube makes it wonderfully compact👍

• 1 month later...

I like that mount in several ways. Simple no fuss, looks like the tube won’t hit the tripod legs.

I hope you don’t mind me mentioning that the altitude shaft does look a bit too thin?  Just wondering how vibration free it is, especially at high power. Maybe it’s fine and my reservations are unfounded.

great idea. very well thought out. i love diy astronomy.  so easy to make something, and at times to improve on it, BUT you gotta see it first. if i was building another set up i like this 1. it would be fun to make and use. as a d.i.y.er i can understand how much time and thought you put into this, patent it lol top marks.