SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Using a canon ef lens with faulty appature blades.

Hello, 

I have found an EF 50mm f/1.8 ii lens cheap because its appature blades are stuck at f/1.8. It states the Optics are good and clear, the focus works only the blades are stuck so it's sold as spares or repair for £29 which if working would come to around £70. 

My question is, will my canon 600d accept the lens and allow me to use it in manual mode, or will it give me errors and not let me operate my camera. I'm hoping this will be a cheap widefield lens as I will only use it at f1.8 and in manual mode. 

Thanks for any responses 

Danny

aye that'll work fine. If you really want to, it's not rocket science to take em to bits and clean (it will be oil on the blades sticking them). I've done this before. It's is very very fiddly, but plenty of youtube help out there.

I'm only saying because I doubt you'll get very good results with the aperture wide open.

stu

Thanks for both replies,  good to know it should work. After Google search was worried I would get error message and not  e able to use the camera. But there was no specific answer for manual mode, I was hoping it would work just as if was an old m42 lens or telescope which don't have the electric functions for the camera to communicate with. 

I may dabble with attempting a fix, maybe after seeing what results I get first. I have heard of stopping down to increase sharpness, but no real experience with lens astrophotography as I only have the 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks again. 

Danny